In this article you will find the steps to Change your User Account Name on a Windows 10 computer, both in case you are using a Local User Account or using your Microsoft Account (Microsoft Email ID) to login to your Windows computer.
Change User Account Name in Windows 10
After installing Windows 10, you can either create a Local User Account or a sign in with your Microsoft ID, which is your Microsoft Email Account.
While creating a Local User Account, you will be asked to provide a User Name and this name will be displayed on the welcome screen and also on the Start Screen.
In the case of a Microsoft Account, the User Name is taken from your online profile. In most cases, your First Name will become your Login Name and your Full Name will be appearing as the display name along with your Microsoft Email Address.
Some users see the display of Full Name and Email address as a privacy concern, especially while using a computer at public places.
Luckily, you can change your User Account Name whether you are using a Local User Account or using a Microsoft Account.
Change Local User Account Name in Windows 10
In the case of a local user account, you can change the name of your account that appears in the sign-in screen by using the following steps.
1. Right click on Windows 10 Start button and then click on Control Panel.
2. On the Control Panel Screen, look for User Accounts and click on it (See image below).
3. Next, click on the Change your Account Name link.
4. On the next screen, type in your New Account Name.
5. Finally, click on the Change Name button to complete the process.
Change Microsoft User Account Name
As mentioned above, in case of a Microsoft Account, the user name is generated from your online profile that you can manage by going to account.microsoft.com. However, you can also change User Account name by following the steps below.
1. Click on Windows 10 Start button and then click on Settings.
2. Next, click on Accounts.
3. Click on Your email and accounts tab.
4. Next, click on Manage my Microsoft Account link to open the web browser and load your profile.
5. On Accounts Page, click the Edit name link located next to your name (See image below).
6. On the next page, you can change your First Name and Last Name to whatever you believe is better in your case and click on Save.
7. After this you can restart your computer to see if the changes that you have made have synced to your computer.
On your next login to the computer, you should be able to see your New Account Name as you sign-in. You may need to try a few hours later, in case you do not see the change immediately.
Note: Sometimes it can take a while for the changes to sync to your computer, so you need to be patient. Also, you need to be aware that the changes that you make to your first and last name will also be reflected in your online ID and your Microsoft email account (@outlook.com).