The home button on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus is not really a physical button. Hence, the steps to enter DFU Mode on iPhone and iPhone 8 Plus are different compared to iPhone’s with actual home buttons.
Enter DFU Mode On iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
DFU Mode (Default Firmware Update) can be defined as an advanced recovery and restore mode that allows iPhone to communicate with iTunes without the active boot loader being activated on your device.
This provides greater control of the device and access to advanced functions like upgrading firmware, downgrading firmware and restoring a jailbroken device.
DFU Mode is also used for troubleshooting and fixing difficult problems on iPhone which cannot be fixed using recovery mode.
Before going ahead with the steps to enter DFU Mode on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, you need to be aware that DFU Mode entirely wipes all the data from your iPhone.
Steps to Enter DFU Mode on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
Follow the steps below to enter DFU mode on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
1. Open iTunes on your desktop or laptop computer.
2. Plug your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus into the computer using its supplied cable and make sure that your iPhone is recognized by iTunes.
3. Next, tap on Settings > General.
4. On the next screen, scroll down to the bottom and tap on Shut Down (See image below)
5. On the next screen, Power off your iPhone by moving the slider to the right. (See image below).
6. First, press and hold the Power Button (ON/OFF button) on your iPhone for 3 seconds and then press and hold the Volume Down button (while you are still holding the power button) – See image below.
7. Keep holding both the Power and Volume Down buttons for 10 seconds.
8. After 10 seconds, release the Power button, but continue to hold the Volume Down button until you see a message from iTunes on the screen of your computer reading “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode”
9. Release the Volume Down button as soon as you see the iTunes message above on the screen of your computer.
10. Your iPhone should now be in DFU Mode. You can confirm this by looking at the screen of your iPhone. It should be completely black with nothing on it (See image below)
Note: You will have to repeat the steps above all over again, in case you do not see the black screen on your iPhone. Seeing anything other than a blank screen means that you are not in DFU Mode and you need to repeat the process.
How to Exit DFU Mode On iPhone
Once your iPhone has been restored using DFU mode, it should automatically come out of DFU mode.
However, in case you have entered DFU Mode by mistake, you can follow the steps below to Exit DFU Mode on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
1. Press the Volume Up button on your iPhone and quickly release it.
2. Next, press the Volume Down button and quickly release it.
3. Finally, press and hold the Power Button (ON/OFF), until you see the white Apple logo appearing on the screen of your iPhone.
You will be out of DFU Mode as soon as you see the Apple Logo appearing on your screen.
Use DFU Mode With Caution
While DFU mode allows you to perform advanced functions, you need to be aware that things can potentially go wrong in case your device has suffered some internal component damage which might interfere with the DFU Process.
DFU Mode is not recommended in case your device appears to have suffered internal damage due to a fall, impact or suffered water damage.
There is always a chance of a working iPhone with minor problems getting worse or even becoming completely unusable, in case the DFU process is interrupted due to internal component damage on an iPhone.