You will find below some of the methods to Fix Error Code 43 message on your Computer, in case you are having a problem accessing the contents of a USB drive or accessing any other device connected to your Windows 10 Computer.
Error Code 43 in Windows Computers
Error Code 43 is generated by the Device Manager of your Windows 10 computer. It is mostly displayed in the following format
“Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”
As you can see from the wordings of above Error Message, Error Code 43 is generated whenever a device that is connected to a Windows Computer reports a problem, forcing the Device Manager to stop the device from operating.
Since the cause of the problem is not clearly specified in the Error Message, the issue could be due to a variety of reasons. It is quite possible that there is a real Hardware Problem with the device itself or it could simply be a minor software/hardware glitch or an outdated driver for the device.
Now that you know what Error Code 43 means, let us go ahead and see if the problem can be fixed.
Fix Error Code 43 in Windows 10
There are a number of ways to fix Error Code 43, ranging from simply restarting the Computer to deleting and reinstalling the drivers for the device. You will find below the steps to each of these methods.
Restart Your Computer
The solution to fix Error Code 43 on your computer could be as simple as restarting your computer.
1. Click on Windows 10 Start button and then click on the Power icon (2) (See image below)
2. Once you click on Power icon, you will see a little menu with Sleep, Shut Down and Restart Options. Click on the Restart option to restart your computer.
3. After the computer Restarts, see if the USB drive or the device that was bothering you is being recognized by your computer.
In case restarting has helped you, it is most likely that there was some kind of temporary problem with the hardware or a software glitch that got resolved when you restarted your computer
Completely Power OFF Your Computer
Another fix that can help fix Error Code 43 is to completely cut off the power supply to your Computer.
1. Shut down your Windows 10 Computer and plug it out from the Power outlet.
2. In case you have a laptop, turn it off and then remove its battery.
3. After cutting off the Power supply, wait for about 5 minutes
4. Now, plug the Computer back to its Power Source and Restart your computer
Don’t be surprised if your Computer is now able to recognize the USB drive or the Device that was generating Error Code 43 message on your Computer.
Re-install Device Drivers
In case Restarting and Powering OFF is not helping, the problem could be due to a missing, faulty or deleted device driver on your Computer. Follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall the drivers back on your computer.
1. Right-click on Windows 10 Start button and then click on Device Manager option in the menu that appears.
Note: You can also access this by opening Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Device Manager
2. On the device Manager Screen, click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers, in order to expand this item (See image below).
3. On the expanded Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you should be able to see the device that is generating Error Code 43 on your Computer. Right-click on the faulty device and then click on the Properties option that appears (See image below).
4. On the Device Properties screen, click on the Driver tab and then click on the Uninstall button (See image below).
5. Next, you will see a pop-up. Click on OK to confirm that you do want to Uninstall the driver.
6. After Uninstalling the driver, click on the Scan icon located in the top menu bar of the Device Manager screen (See image below)
7. Windows 10 will scan your computer for hardware changes and discover that a particular device attached to your Computer does not have a device driver. Windows 10 will automatically find and reinstall the correct driver.
This should fix the Error Code 43 Problem on your Computer and you should be able to use the device without any problem.