In case you haven’t tried this yet, setting up a Reminder List on iPhone or iPad is really easy and this can help you plan your day, stay organized, productive and remain focused on the tasks that you want to accomplish.
How Creating a Reminder List Can be Useful
1. Before going to bed, you can plan for the next day by making a list of important things to do.
2. You can add time based alerts to some items on this list. For example, you can set your phone to ring and remind you about your resolution to work out for at least 10 minutes before leaving for work.
3. Just when it is time to come back home from work/school, your phone can remind you to pick up that prescription medicine from Costco.
4. Back at home, you can take a look at your reminders list and feel good about the completed tasks on the list.
5. In case you have incomplete tasks on the list, you can think about them and take corrective measures to become better at accomplishing tasks.
Hope you are getting a hang of this. In general, the idea is to use the Reminders app on your iPhone to help you plan your day and set up alerts for those items on the list that are important or can be forgotten without a reminder.
Create Reminder List on iPhone or iPad
Let us get started by creating a Reminder List by follow the steps below:-
1. From the home screen of your iPhone, tap on the Reminders app.
Once you tap on Reminder app you will be taken to reminders screen where you may see some default iPhone Reminder Lists or lists that you may have already created.
2. To create a new list, Swipe Down from top of the Reminders screen to bring up a search bar (See image in Step 3 below).
3. Now, tap on the + button located at the top-right corner of the search bar (See image below).
4. You will see a pop-up at the bottom of the screen – Tap on List (See image above).
5. On the next screen, type the name of the new list and tap on Done. You can name the list as My Daily List or something that suggests what this list is doing.
As simple as that, you have just created a blank reminders list and given it an appropriate name.
Add Items or Tasks to Reminder List
Now that you have created a Reminder List, you need to add items to your list. Although, you can add items right after creating the Reminder List, we are providing below steps from the beginning.
1. From the home screen, tap on Reminders app.
2. Tap on the List that you had just created using above steps.
3. Once you are on your list, you can add items to the Reminders List by tapping on the + button (See image below).
4. When you tap on the return Key in Step 3 above, the cursor will move to the next item. Type the next item and hit the return key to create another item on the list.
Similarly, you can add as many items to the list as there is a need for and complete your list (See image above).
Add Time Based Alerts to Reminder List
You may have some items on your Reminder List that may require time based alerts to remind you about those items.
Follow the steps below to add time based alerts to any item on your Reminder List:
1. Access your Reminder List on iPhone or iPad.
2. Now, tap on the item that you would like to add a time based alert to. This will bring up the “i” icon next to the item (See image in Step 3 below).
3. Next, tap on the “i” icon that you can see to the right of the item (See image below).
4. On the next screen, you can set up the day and the time that you want your phone to ring and remind you about this item on your Reminder List.
5. Tap on Done.
Add Location Based Alerts to Reminder List
The Reminders app on your iPhone also allows you to add location based alerts. Location based alerts or reminders can be set to trigger either when you reach the location or leave from a location.
1. Access the Reminder List on your iPhone.
2. Now, tap on the item in the list that you would like to add a location based reminder to. This will bring up the item editing “i” icon.
3. Next, tap on the “i” icon that you will see to the right of the item (See image below).
4. On the Details screen, set Remind me at a Location to ON position (See image below). Next tap on Location.
5. On the next screen you can search for the location by typing in the search box and choose whether you would like to be reminded “When You Arrive at the Location” or “When You Leave the location” (See image below).
Note: You need to enable location services on your device for location based reminders to work on your iPhone. Also make sure that Reminders are set to ON position.
- Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Set to ON position.
- Settings > iCloud > Reminders > Set to ON.
Adding time and location based alerts to certain items on your Reminders List will ensure that you are reminded about important items on your list at the right time.
Add Contacts to Reminder List
Another great feature about the Reminders App on iPhone is that it allows you to add contacts to your Reminder List. This can be of help in setting up a joint Reminder List.
For example, you and your partner or even multiple team members can set up a common Reminders List, with tasks requiring coordination and input from your partner or team members.
1. From the home screen, tap on Reminders app.
2. Tap on the Reminder List that you had created or create a new one using the steps listed above.
3. Next, tap on the Edit button (See image below).
4. Tap on Sharing (See image below).
5. On the next screen, tap on Add person (See image below)
6. On the next screen, Tap on the + Sign – This will take you to your contacts list, from there you can add contacts to your Reminder List. You can also type an email address in the recipient bar and invite someone to the list.
Note: The person receiving an invitation to the list will be prompted to log in with his/her iCloud account.
7. Tap on Add once you have the proper contact details.
The person that you have added to the Reminder List will receive an invitation to accept the shared Reminder List. Once accepted, the person that you have added to the Reminder List can edit the list and create also new reminders.
Both you and the contacts added to the list will be receiving time and location based alerts as soon they are triggered by the criteria set for these alerts.
How to Edit or Delete Reminder List
With time, things change and you may want to either edit the Reminder List or even delete it. Deleting a Reminder List makes a lot of sense when you have too many lists cluttering your view.
1. From the home screen, tap on Reminders.
2. Next, tap on the List that you would like to delete.
3. Tap on Edit.
4. On the next screen, tap on Delete List (See image below).
5. You will see a pop-up warning asking you to confirm that you do want to delete the Reminder List.
6. Tap on Delete option on the pop-up menu to delete the Reminder List from your iPhone.
Note: In case you delete a shared Reminder List that you had created, the list will also be removed from the devices all contacts that you had shared the list with.
However, when you delete a Shared Reminder List that you did not create, the list will only be removed from your device. There will be no impact to the list as available with the creator of the Reminder List. The list will remain available on the list creators iPhone.
Hope you have learnt something from this post. Try creating a Reminders List on your iPhone and find out whether you have the discipline and the commitment to accomplish goals.