Some users want to use iPhone as WiFi only device, either to totally cut down on Cellular data charges or to allow children to use iPhone on WiFi network. You will find below the steps to activate or Setup iPhone Without SIM Card.
Setup iPhone Without SIM Card
Your iPhone will invariably ask you to insert SIM Card, when you try to Setup your device for the first time. Unfortunately there is really no way to bypass “SIM Required” screen that appears during the setup process.
You will come across YouTube Videos and “How to” articles, showing various methods of bypassing the “SIM Required” screen. However, none of these methods actually work or work consistently enough to be listed or linked in this article.
Hence, our suggestion is to use a SIM Card to activate and Setup your iPhone. Once the Setup process is completed, you can remove the SIM Card from your device and start using iPhone as WiFi Only device.
Activate or Setup iPhone Without SIM Card
Since you do not really want to continue using SIM Card on your iPhone, you can either borrow SIM Card from a friend, family member for a temporary period and give it back to them as soon as you are done Setting up your iPhone.
The other option is to buy a prepaid SIM Card ($5 to $10) and use it only for activating your iPhone and not use it on your iPhone.
Note: Buying a Prepaid SIM Card does not involve signing a Contract or signing up for a Cellular plan. These are SIM Cards meant for Pre-Paid Cellular Plans and you will only be charged for actual use.
Once you have managed to get hold of a SIM Card, follow the steps below to Setup iPhone.
1. Press and Hold the Power Button on your iPhone, until you see Apple logo appearing on the screen of your iPhone.
2. Wait for a few seconds, until you see the Hello Screen. Slide your finger from left to right on your screen to start setting up your iPhone
3. The Next two Screens will ask you to Select your Language and Country.
Note: You may see a no SIM Card Installed Popup, tap on OK to remove this popup from your screen.
4. On the next screen, select your WiFi Network and sign-in to the WiFi Network by entering your WiFi Network’s Password.
5. Once iPhone is connected to WiFi Network, you will see SIM Required screen (See image below)
6. Open the SIM Tray of your iPhone by using a Pin or a SIM Ejector tool and Insert the SIM Card into your iPhone.
7. After inserting the SIM Card, tap on Try again link (See image below)
8. The next screen will provide you with the option to Enable or Disable Location Services on your device.
9. The next two screens are important, just follow the instructions to Setup Your Touch ID and Passcode.
11. Next, you will be asked to Agree to Terms and Conditions. Tap on Agree and wait for your iPhone to complete the Setup Process.
12. Once the setup is completed, you will see the Hello Screen once again. Just slide your finger from left to right to go to the Lock Screen of your iPhone.
Now that you have successfully completed the Setup Process, you can remove SIM Card from your iPhone and start using iPhone as WiFi only device.
There is actually a lot that you can do with WiFi Only iPhone, take a look at our guide: How to Use iPhone Without SIM Card, and you will be pleasantly surprised.