Windows 10 allows you to setup both public and private networks on your computer. You will find below the steps to change Network Type in Windows 10 from public to private or vice-versa.
Change Network Type in Windows 10
When your computer connects to a network for the first time, you will see a pop-up asking you whether you would like to make your PC discoverable.
If you say “Yes”, the new network that your computer is trying to connect will be setup as a Private Network. If you say NO, the Network will be setup as a Public Network.
In case you do not know whether a Public or Private Network has been setup on your computer, you can still change the Network type on your computer to Public or Private network.
Whether to Set Public or Private Network in Windows 10
If you are wondering whether to set Public or Private Network on your computer, you can go through the description of the two network types as provided below and make your own decision.
Public Network: When you set a network as Public, your computer assumes that you do not have any control over the network.
Hence, Windows 10 makes your computer hidden from other devices on the network, making it unsuitable for sharing files and printers with other devices on the network.
Private Network: When you trust a network (such as your Home WiFi Network), you may want to set it up as a Private Network.
In this case, Windows 10 makes your computer discoverable by other devices on the network. This allows you to Share Files, Folders and printers with other devices on the network.
Tip: It is a good practice is to use Public Network type, whenever you are out of your home or office.
1. Steps to Change Network Type in Windows 10
Follow the steps below to change network type in Windows 10.
1. Click on the Start button > Settings Icon.
2. On the Settings screen, click on Network & Internet.
3. On the next screen, click on Status in the left pane. In the right-pane, click on Change Connection Properties Link.
4. On the next screen, you can set the network type as either Public or Private.
The network will be changed to Private to Public type, depending on your selection.
2. Change Network Type in Windows 10 Using Network Reset
Another way to change network type in Windows 10 is by using the Network Reset option.
1. Open Settings > click on Network and Internet.
2. On the next screen, click on Status in the left pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Network Reset option.
3. On the Network Reset screen, click on Reset now.
4. On the conformation pop-up, tap on Yes to confirm.
5. Wait for your computer to restart.
Once your computer restarts, you will be prompted to choose whether to make your PC discoverable.
Select Yes or No, depending on the network type that you want to setup on your computer.
Note: If the computer does not restart, you can restart the computer manually