There are different ways to connect iPhone to TV, you will find below 4 different ways of connecting iPhone to TV, you can use any method that suits you the best.
Connect iPhone to TV
As much as you may like your iPhone, you will definitely feel the need to watch Movies and Videos on the large screen of your Home TV, instead of taxing your eyes by watching them on the tiny screen of your iPhone.
In this article, we are providing you with the details and the steps to connect your iPhone to TV using three different methods, so that you can make use of any method that appeals to you the most.
1. Connect iPhone to TV Using Digital A/V Adapter
2. Connect iPhone to TV Using Apple TV
3. Connect iPhone to TV Using Chromecast
Connect iPhone to TV Using Digital AV Adapter
The simplest way to connect iPhone to TV is to make use of a Digital AV Adapter available at Apple Stores, Amazon and other stores from $59 or less.
Digital AV Adapter is a cable with lightning connector at one end and an HDMI port at the other end. As you must have already guessed, the lightning end plugs into your iPhone and the HDMI end connects to your Television Set.
1. Plug the HDMI end of the cable into the HDMI Port of your Television and the lightning end into the Lightning Port of your iPhone.
2. Turn ON your TV and press the Input button on the TV remote. Using the remote, switch the Input of your TV to the HDMI Port to which your iPhone is connected (See image below).
3. In case you have an iPhone 5 or newer model, your iPhone’s screen will start mirroring on the TV.
This means that anything that play on your iPhone, including apps, presentations, websites, slideshows, Videos and Movies will be visible on the larger screen of your Home Television.
However, TV Mirroring feature is not available for older models of iPhone. On older iPhones, you will only be able to watch slideshows of Photos, Videos from your Camera Roll and Videos from Apps that support your older Models of iPhone.
Connect iPhone to TV Using AirPlay
The AirPlay feature on iPhone makes it really easy to connect iPhone to TV wirelessly over your Home WiFi Network. In order to do this, you will need to purchase an Apple TV Device and an HDMI Cable.
As you must be already aware, Apple TV is a small Digital Media Box which comes with support for popular streaming media Apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle and others.
Apple TV allows you to Mirror iPhone or iPad screen to TV and allows you to buy or rent movies and television shows through iTunes.
The cheapest version of Apple TV is available for $69 at Apple Store, Amazon, BestBuy and other places. This means that connecting iPhone to TV using AirPlay is going to cost you $69 plus $10 for HDMI Cable.
1. Place Apple TV near your Television and a power outlet.
2. Next, Insert one end of HDMI Cable into the HDMI Port of the Apple TV (See image below) and the other end into the HDMI Port of your television.
3. In case you want to use a wired network, connect an Ethernet Cable to the Ethernet Port of your Apple TV and the other end of Ethernet Cable into your Router or Modem.
Note: You can skip this optional step in case you prefer using Apple TV over a wireless WiFi Network.
4. Next, connect Apple TV to a Power Outlet using the provided Apple TV Power cable
5. Turn on your Television and press the Input button on the TV Remote.
6. Using the TV Remote, switch the input of your TV to the HDMI Port to which your Apple TV is connected (See image below).
7. Once Apple TV has established a connection with your TV, you will see a Setup Screen.
Note: In case you do not see the Apple TV Setup screen, make sure that everything is properly connected.
8. Follow the simple On-screen instructions to setup Apple TV. You will be asked to select your WiFi Network and Enter your WiFi Network Password.
Once Apple TV is connected to your Home WiFi Network, follow the steps below to connect your iPhone to Television using AirPlay.
1. Make sure that both Apple TV and iPhone are connected to the same WiFi Network.
2. Next, swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone screen and then tap on the AirPlay Mirroring option in the slide-up menu that appears (See image below).
3. Allow your iPhone to search for and list your Apple TV.
4. Next, tap on your Apple TV to start Mirroring the screen of your iPhone on to the larger screen of your Home TV.
In case you do not want the screen of your iPhone to be visible on TV, you can use a different option on Apple TV which allows AirPlay to stream specific content to the screen of your Television.
Connect iPhone to TV Using Chromecast
Google Chromecast is another versatile and inexpensive device which makes it really easy to connect iPhone to Television over a WiFi Network.
Chromecast device is available in different models; you can refer to our article: Which Chromecast Model to Buy for more details.
After purchasing Chromecast device, connect Chromecast device to your Television and Setup Chromecast on your iPhone using steps mentioned in this article: How to Setup Chromecast.
Once Chromecast is setup to work with your iPhone, you will be able to Cast content from your iPhone onto the larger screen of your Home Television.
1. Start YouTube App on your iPhone
2. Play any YouTube Video of your choice on your iPhone.
3. As soon as the Video starts playing on your iPhone, tap on the Cast Icon located at the top of your screen (See image below).
4. Within no time, you will see the YouTube Video playing on the screen of your Home Television.
The good thing about Chromecast is that it frees up your device, allowing you do other things on your iPhone while the selected Video is playing on the Large Screen of your Home Television.
Once you tap on the Cast Icon and the Video Starts casting on the TV screen, you are practically free to do other things on your iPhone or you can simply close your iPhone to conserve battery life.
Image Source – Apple.com