It is possible to turn OFF or disable iCloud Photos on iPhone, in case you do not have enough iCloud Storage or for any other reason.
Disable iCloud Photos on iPhone & Mac
iCloud Photos (previously known as iCloud Photo Library) allows Apple device users to upload Photos to Apple’s Cloud storage service and access them on other devices.
Photos uploaded to iCloud are stored in their full resolution and get automatically synced to all your iCloud connected devices.
Since, Photos & Videos consume a lot of storage space, enabling iCloud Photos will quickly fill up the limited 5 GB storage space available in your Free iCloud Account.
The option in this case, is to either buy additional iCloud Storage space or disable iCloud Photos on iPhone and Mac.
Is it Possible to Turn OFF iCloud Photos Without Losing Photos?
When iCloud Photos is enabled on iPhone, the Photos and Videos that you take on your device are automatically uploaded to your iCloud Account.
If Optimize for storage option is checked under iCloud, the original Photos stored on your device are likely to be optimized versions of the original images.
When you disable iCloud Photos on iPhone, it results in further Photos & Videos from your iPhone not being uploaded to iCloud.
1. Disable iCloud Photos on iPhone
Follow the steps below to turn OFF iCloud Photos on iPhone.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone , scroll down and tap on Photos.
2. On the Photos screen, turn OFF iCloud Photos by moving the toggle to OFF position.
3. On the confirmation pop-up, select Remove from iPhone option.
Note: If there is enough storage space on iPhone, you can select Download Photos & Videos option to save a copy of iCloud Photos on your iPhone.
3. Turn OFF iCloud Photos on Mac
You can disable iCloud Photos and Photo Stream on Mac by following the steps below.
1. Open the Photos App on your Mac.
2. Click on Photos in the top menu bar and select Preferences in the drop-down menu.
3. On the Preferences screen, select iCloud tab in top menu and uncheck iCloud Photos option.
Note: When iCloud Photos is enabled, you can download a copy of iCloud Photos to your Mac by checking Download Originals to this Mac option.