Record breaking mobile game Pokémon GO is free to download on the App Store, which makes it all the more tempting to download the app and join other Pokémon fans. However, like most addictive mobile games, Pokémon GO lures players into buying PokéCoins while they are engrossed in playing the game.
Since the game is highly addictive, you may want to limit or disable the ability to purchase PokéCoins on your device. This will effectively rule out the possibility of your kids running up a big bill on the Credit Card linked to your Apple ID.
In-App Purchases Feature On iPhone
The In-App Purchases feature on your iPhone is designed to make it easy and seamless for iPhone users to purchase additional game credits, right from within the game, without the need to interrupt the game and login to the App Store to make purchases.
However, the problem in this current state of Pokémon fever is that your kids might get so engrossed while playing the game that they may end up charging your Credit Card to purchase credits and advance to the next level in the game.
Disable PokéCoin Purchases On iPhone and iPad
On your iPhone, you can either disable In-App Purchases for all Apps or keep them turned ON for all Apps. There is no way to turn off or disable In-app purchases for a specific app.
Hence, the only way to disable PokéCoin purchases on your device is to Enable Restrictions for all Apps on your iPhone or iPad.
1. From the home screen of your iPhone, tap on Settings > tap on General.
2. On the next screen, scroll down and tap on Enable Restrictions.
3. Next, you will be asked to set up a Restrictions Passcode. Make sure that you remember this passcode, you won’t be able to change Restrictions without entering this passcode.
Note: You will be required to enter your Restrictions Passcode, in case you had already enabled Restrictions on your device.
4. On the next screen, scroll down till you see In-App Purchases and Toggle this to OFF position (See image below)
With this setting, you have completely disabled In-app Purchases on your iPhone. From now on, whenever anyone tries to purchase PokéCoins, they will be blocked and told that such purchases are not allowed on this device.
Note: Disabling In-app purchases will not limit your Kids from earning PokéCoins while playing the game. It will also not limit your Kids from buying anything using the money that they have earned by playing the game.
Limit PokéCoin Purchases on iPhone and iPad
While the above method completely locks out everyone from purchasing PokéCoins, you can also consider the option of limiting PokéCoins purchases, by making your device ask for a password, every time you or anyone tries to make a purchase on your device.
This way you will be able to buy PokéCoins for your Kids or yourself in a controlled manner.
1. From the Home Screen of your iPhone, tap on Settings > tap on General.
2. On the next screen, scroll down and tap on Restrictions.
3. Enter your Restrictions Passcode.
4. On the Restrictions Screen, toggle In-App Purchases to ON position (See image below)
5. While you are still on Restrictions screen, scroll down further and tap on Password Settings (See image below)
6. On the next screen, toggle ON the option for Require Password and tap on Always Require (See image below).
With this setting you will have more control over buying PokéCoins, you can buy them at anytime by entering your Password.
Note: With this setting you will be required to enter password even while purchasing songs, music, books and making others purchases on the App Store.