If Windows Defender is using a high amount of resources on your computer, you can temporarily disable Windows Defender and see if this helps. You will find below steps to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10.
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
Windows 10 comes pre-loaded with a free and fast improving Security Program known as Windows Defender.
However, many PC users are used to Third Party Antivirus Programs and do not want two Antivirus Programs taking up resources on their computer.
Also, some users have reported program conflicts and performance issues while using Windows Defender along with Third Party Antivirus Software Programs.
Hence, we are providing below both temporary and permanent methods to disable Windows Defender on your Windows 10 computer.
1. Temporarily Disable Windows Defender In Windows 10
Follow the steps below to Temporarily Disable Windows Defender using the Settings App on your Windows 10 Computer.
1. Open Settings and click on Update & security.
2. Next, click on Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
3. Click on Manage Settings Link located under “Virus & threat protection settings”.
4. On the next screen, turn OFF Real-Time Protection, Cloud Delivered Protection and Automatic Sample Submission.
This method will disable Windows Defender for a temporary period of time. Windows Defender will Automatically turn itself back on your computer, the next time you login to your computer.
This temporary method of disabling Windows Defender is suitable in case you only want to stop Windows Defender for a limited period while dealing with performance issues or problems on your computer.
2. Permanently Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
In case you want to, it is possible to Disable Windows Defender permanently on your computer using the Registry Editor.
It is recommended that you create a system restore point before making any Registry Edits on your computer.
1. Right-click on the Start button and click on the Run.
2. Type Regedit in the Search box and click on OK.
3. On the Registry Editor Screen, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender and see if you can find a DWORD named as “DisableAntiSpyware” .
4. Double-click on DisableAntiSpyware > on the Edit DWORD Pop-up, change Value Data from 0 to 1.
This will Permanently Disable Windows Defender on your computer.
However, at anytime you can Enable Windows Defender on your computer by changing Value Data from 1 to 0.
Cannot Find DisableAntiSpyware
If you do not find DWORD named “DisableAntiSpyware”, you will have to create a New DWORD and name the DWORD as “DisableAntiSpyware”.
Right-click on an empty area in the right pane > select New and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the new Key as DisableAntiSpyware > Enter 1 in the Value Data fileld.
Note: It is recommended not to disable Windows Defender without having a Third Party Antivirus Program protecting your computer.