Before selling or giving away your iPhone, it is really important that you delete all your personal information, contacts and data from your iPhone. You will find below the steps to Erase Everything from iPhone.
Erase Everything from iPhone
You need to stop right now, if you are thinking in terms of manually deleting Contacts, Calendars, documents and photos from your iPhone.
Deleting Contacts, Photos and other data from iPhone while you are still signed-in to iCloud will also delete this information from iCloud servers.
Hence, you should first make a Backup of the data on your iPhone, sign-out of iCloud and then Erase Everything from iPhone by performing a Factory Reset on your iPhone.
1. Backup Your Data
Before you delete everything from iPhone, make sure that you make a Backup of your iPhone using either iTunes or iCloud.
In this regard, it is important that you understand the difference between iTunes and iCloud Backups and select a method that suits you the best.
Backup iPhone Using iCloud
In case you have decided to go for an iCloud Backup, make sure that your iPhone is connected to a WiFi Network and follow the steps below.
1. Open Settings and tap on your Apple ID Name.
2. On the Apple ID screen, tap on iCloud.
3. On the iCloud Screen, scroll down and tap on iCloud Backup.
4. On the next screen, tap on Backup Now to start the process of iPhone Backup to iCloud
Depending on the amount of Data on your iPhone, it can take a long time for the Backup process to be completed.
You can check the progress of Backup and confirm that a Backup has been completed by tapping on Settings > Name > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
In case a Backup is available, you will be able to see the date and time of your last Backup.
Backup iPhone Using iTunes
In case you have lots of Photos and data on your iPhone, it is actually faster to download a complete Backup of your iPhone on computer using iTunes, instead of waiting a long time for your data to be Backed up to iCloud.
1. Open iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone to the computer using its supplied USB connector cable.
2. Next, click on the Phone icon as it appears on the screen of your computer. This will reveal the iTunes settings Menu.
3. Next, click on the Summary Tab in the side menu and this will reveal the details of your iPhone and the available options to Backup your iPhone.
4. Scroll down to Backups section, check the option for This computer and click on the Backup Now button located under “Manually Backup and Restore” section.
Optional: You can check Encrypt iPhone Backup option, in case you want to save your Passwords, Health and Activity Data to the computer.
Important: If you check Encrypted iPhone Back up option, make sure that you write down the password for the Encrypted Backup File and keep it in a safe place. You won’t be able to access the Encrypted Backup without knowing this Password.
5. Patiently wait for iTunes to make a Backup of your iPhone. You will be able to see the progress of the Backup process on the top bar of your computer.
The time for completion of iTunes Backup will depend on the actual amount of data on your iPhone.
Check and Confirm iTunes Backup
Before disconnecting your iPhone from the computer, make sure that iTunes had indeed made a Backup of your iPhone and stored the Backup on your computer.
1. Click on Edit tab located in the top menu bar and then click on Preferences… in the drop-down menu
2. On the next screen, click on Devices
In the Device Backups section, you should be able to see a Backup of your iPhone – Phone Name and the time of the Backup (see image above).
Once you have a Backup of your iPhone, you can go ahead and erase everything from iPhone using the Settings App on your iPhone or by using iTunes.
2. Sign-out of iCloud, iTunes and App Store
If you are planning to sell, trade or give away your iPhone, make sure that you are sign-out of iCloud, iTunes and App Store on your iPhone.
1. Open Settings and Tap on your Apple ID Name.
2. On the Apple ID Screen, scroll down and tap on Sign-out
3. When prompted, enter your Apple ID Password and tap on Turn OFF.
Now that you are signed-out of iCloud, App Store and iTunes, you can go ahead and delete all your personal information, Photos, Contacts and all other Files and Data from your iPhone.
3. Erase Everything from iPhone
The easiest way to delete everything from iPhone is to Factory Reset your device using the Settings App on your iPhone.
1. Tap on Settings > General.
2. On the next screen, tap on Reset
3. On the Reset screen, tap on Erase All Content and Settings.
4. Wait for the Factory Reset process to be completed.
Once the Factory Reset process is completed, all the Data on your iPhone will be wiped out and you can safely sell, trade or give away your iPhone.