Apple has finally released the public beta for iOS 10, allowing users without a developer account to install the latest version of iOS software on their devices. In this article we will be showing you How to Install iOS 10 Beta on your iPhone or iPad.
Should I Install iOS 10 Beta?
Apple’s latest and upcoming iOS 10 is still in beta mode, which means that you may encounter bugs and glitches while running it on your device. It is also possible that some of the apps on your device may become unresponsive or function improperly on your device.
The purpose of releasing a software in beta version is to allow dedicated iPhone users to test the software and report bugs and glitches, so that Apple can fix them before launching iOS 10 for the general public in Fall 2016.
We have been running the beta version for the last two days and haven’t experienced any major glitches. However, other users who may have tested the software more extensively, have reported crashing of apps, major bugs and glitches.
Hence, download and Install the Beta version if you do want to participate in reporting of bugs to Apple or if you cannot wait for the official release of iOS 10 in the Fall of 2016.
Is Your Device Compatible With iOS 10
Before proceeding with the steps to install iOS 10 Beta on your iPhone or iPad, make sure that your device is compatible with iOS 10 software.
The following devices have been listed by Apple as being compatible to download and Install iOS 10, check to see from the list below if your device is compatible with the latest iOS update.
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch and iPad Pro 9.7 inch
- iPad Air 2 and iPad Air
- iPad Mini 4, iPad Mini 3 and iPad Mini 2
- iPad 4th generation
- iPod Touch 6th Generation
Note: The iOS 10 Beta takes up around 1.5 GB to 1.7 GB of space, which means some users may need to free up space on their iPhone or iPad.
Install iOS 10 Beta On iPhone or iPad
The process to install iOS 10 Public beta on your iPhone or iPad has been split into 3 parts as listed below, in order to make it easier for you to understand and follow.
- Backing up your device to a Computer Using iTunes
- Register Apple ID and Enroll iOS Device for beta testing
- Installing iOS 10 to your iPhone, iPad or iPod
Back Up iPhone or iPad to Computer Using iTunes
It is really important that you make a back up of your iPhone to a Computer, before installing the beta version of iOS 10 on your device.
To make a backup of your iPhone to Computer using iTunes you can refer to this article: How to Backup iPhone and iPad Using iTunes.
In case anything goes wrong after installing iOS 10 beta, you can always go back to iOS 9.3 and also get back all your data by Restoring your iPhone using the Backup of your iPhone: How to Restore iPhone and iPad Using iTunes
Register Apple ID and Enroll iOS Device for Beta Testing
Once you have finished backing up your device using iTunes, the next step is to enroll your Apple ID and device for beta testing by following the steps below.
1. On your iPhone or iPad visit beta.apple.com and tap on the Sign up button (See image below)
2. On the next screen enter your Apple ID and password and tap on the Sign in button
3. Next agree to the Terms and Conditions by tapping on the Accept button from the bottom right corner.
4. Now you will be redirected to a new page, on this page tap on iOS (See image below)
5. Next scroll down and tap on the Enroll your iOS Device link (See image below).
6. On the next screen tap on the Download Profile button
7. You will be taken to a new screen, on this screen tap on Install, located at the top right corner of your screen.
8. On the next screen you will once again have to tap on Install, located in the top right corner of your screen
9. Next tap on the Install button again
10. From the pop-up tap on Install
11. You will see another pop-up, tap on Restart to finish the process of installing the configuration profile onto your device.
Install iOS 10 Beta on iPhone or iPad
Once your device has restarted, you are all set to install iOS 10 beta by following the steps below.
1. From the Home Screen of your iPhone or iPad, tap on Settings > tap on General.
2. Next tap on Software Update
3. On the next screen tap on Download and Install link (See image below).
4. You will be prompted to enter your passcode, enter your passcode when prompted to do so
5. On the next screen tap on Agree, located in the bottom right corner of your screen
6. From the ensuing pop-up, tap on Agree
iOS 10 will now begin installing onto your Apple device, this process could take several minutes (took around 20 minutes for us).
Once your device reboots itself and you see your lock screen, you are all ready to test out iOS 10 on your Apple device. In case you do encounter some bugs and glitches on your device running iOS 10 beta, you can refer to this article: How to report bugs in iOS 10 to Apple.