Your Laptop can be configured to automatically open when the lid is lifted and shut down when the lid is closed. You will find below the steps to Open and Close Laptop Using Lid in Windows 10.
Open and Close Laptop Using Lid in Windows 10
Configuring the Laptop to open and close using Lid can be useful for students, mobile banking professionals and others who move around with their Laptops.
This feature eliminates the need to press the Power button to start the computer and also ensures that your Laptop is Powered OFF when you close the Lid and place your Laptop in its carry bag.
You may not find this feature on many older Laptops and it may not also be available on some newer Laptops due to hardware and driver limitations.
Also on some Laptops, only the option to close Laptop using Lid is made available, while the option to open Laptop when the Lid is lifted is kept hidden.
1. Open Laptop When Lid Open
Follow the steps below to make your Laptop open when the Lid is lifted.
1. Open Settings on your computer and click on the System icon.
2. On the next screen, click on Power & Sleep in the left pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Additional Power Settings link, located under ‘Related Settings’ section.
3. On Power Options screen, click on Change Plan Settings link, located next to current active Power plan on your computer.
4. On Edit Plan Settings screen, click on Change Advanced Power Settings Link.
5. On Power Options screen, expand Power buttons & lid entry > expand Lid open action and select Turn on the display option for battery and Plugged in.
6. Click on Apply and OK to apply these new settings on your computer.
2. Shut Down Laptop When Lid Closed
Follow the steps below to make your Laptop shut down when the Lid is closed.
1. Go to Settings > System > click on Power & Sleep in the left pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Additional Power Settings link, located under ‘Related Settings’ section.
2. On Power Options screen, click on Change Plan Settings link, located right next to currently activate power plan on your computer.
3. On Edit Plan Settings screen, click on Change Advanced Power Settings Link.
4. On Power Options screen, expand Power buttons & lid entry > expand Lid close action and select Shut down option for battery and Plugged in.
5. Click on Apply and OK to save these settings on your Laptop.
3. Unhide Lid Open Action in Windows 10
If the Lid Open Action is not available on your Laptop, it is likely that this option might be hidden on your computer.
1. Right-click on Start button and click on Command Prompt (Admin) option.
2. In the command prompt screen, type powercfg -attributes SUB_BUTTONS 99ff10e7-23b1-4c07-a9d1-5c3206d741b4 -ATTRIB_HIDE and press the Enter button on the keyboard of your laptop.
3. When this command is executed, you won’t receive a confirmation, but Lid Open Action will be immediately added to the Power Options screen on your computer.
After the Lid Open Option is enabled, you can follow the steps to Open or Shut Down Laptop using the Lid.
Note: If the above command did not add the Lid Open Action, you might be able to enable this option by going to BIOS settings of your computer.