You may come across the need to record a conversation on your iPhone due to certain reasons. Whatever might be your reason, it is possible to record calls on iPhone and we are providing below three different ways to record phone calls on iPhone.
Is it Illegal to Record Phone Calls?
As you must have experienced, when you place a call to a company’s customer service department, you can hear an automated message saying “Your Call may be recorded for quality assurance”.
This automated message is played in order to comply with the legal requirement to seek permission from the caller before recording a phone call.
Different Countries around the World have different rules on recording of Phone Calls. Even within the US, each state has its own set of rules governing recording of phone calls.
Things can get complicated, if you are calling a party in another state and recording the conversation. Hence, it is recommended that you understand the rules, before going ahead with the steps to record phone calls on iPhone in your state.
A good source of information that you can refer to on this issue is Digital Media Law Project.
Record Phone Calls on iPhone
Perhaps due to complicated legal issues, iPhone does not provide an in-built feature for recording Phone Calls.
In addition, iPhone also prevents App store Apps from accessing the Phone app and recording calls, requiring the Apps to make use of workarounds to enable call recording on iPhone.
With this understanding, let us go ahead and take a look at 3 different ways to record phone calls on iPhone.
1. Place Call on Speakerphone and Record Using Another Device (Free)
The easiest method to record phone calls on iPhone is to simply place your call on the loudspeaker of your iPhone and record the conversation using another device.
If you don’t have a voice recorder lying around, you can make use of the Camera App on another smartphone or tablet to record the call.
While the recording quality in this method is very mediocre, it provides you with an easy and free way to record a phone call on your iPhone.
2. Use Google Voice (Free)
The second method provides much better recording quality, but it can only be used to record incoming calls.
You won’t be able to record outgoing calls using Google Voice. Also, Google Voice is currently available to users residing in the United States only.
First, download Google Voice App from the App Store on your iPhone and follow the on-screen instructions to install and setup Google Voice on your iPhone.
Voice recording is not enabled by default on Google Voice and you will need to enable this option in order to be able to record calls on your iPhone.
1. Open Google Voice App on your iPhone and tap on the 3-line icon located at the top left corner of your screen. Next, tap on the Settings option in the drop-down menu.
2. On the Settings screen, scroll down and toggle on Incoming Call Options.
This will enable Call Recording option in Google Voice and you will be able to record any incoming call on your iPhone.
3. To record a Call on iPhone, simply tap on number 4 on the Keypad, during the call. Once you tap on 4, Google Voice will play an automated message informing both parties (You and Caller) that the Call is being recorded.
3. Use TapeACall App (Free Trial for 7-days)
Another way to record calls on iPhone is to make use of Call Recording Apps as available in the App Store. One such App is TapeACall, which provides a free 7 day-trial after which the service costs $10.99 per year.
While TapeACall allows you to record both incoming and outgoing calls, using the App is not easy and the App works only if your carrier supports three-way calling.
Here is how you can record calls on iPhone using TapeACall App.
1. Open TapeACall App on your iPhone and hit the Record button. This will make the App dial your number.
2. Next, tap on Add Call option and call your party. After they have answered, tap on Merge Calls button and the App will start recording your conversation.