Forgetting where you parked your car should no longer be a problem, thanks to a new feature in iOS 10 that automatically remembers where your car is parked and pin-points your car’s location on Apple Maps.
iPhone Parked Car Reminder
You must have come across third party apps like Waze that can remind you as to where your car is parked. However, you won’t be needing any of these apps now, as this feature will be enabled by default on your iPhone, once you update your phone to iOS 10.
After you park your car, you will get a notification on your iPhone informing you that “Your Car, Parked near “Location Detail”, has been marked on the map.”
On the Maps you will see a Pin dropped in the location where your car is parked. Also, the parked location will be added as a “Recommended Destination”, so that you can easily access the location and can get directions back to your vehicle.
You will find below the steps to enable the Parked Car Reminder on your iPhone.
Your Car Needs to Have Bluetooth
The Parking Reminder on your iPhone makes use of loss of Bluetooth connection to detect that your car must be parked. Hence, you will need to enable Bluetooth or CarPlay in your Car to use this feature.
Most newer cars come with Bluetooth already built-in or come with an option to add bluetooth as an add-on.
In case you have an older car, then you can consider adding Bluetooth capabilities to your car by going for an easy to install Bluetooth car kit (anywhere from $35 and more).
How to Set Up Parked Car Reminder On iPhone
As mentioned above, the Parked Car Reminder is enabled by default on your iPhone running iOS 10 software. However, you still need to ensure that the feature is set to ON.
1. From the Home Screen of your iPhone, tap on Settings.
2. On the Settings screen, scroll down and tap on Maps.
3. On the next screen, scroll down to “Your Car” section and make sure that Show Parked Location is set to ON position.
Now Pair Your iPhone With Your Car
After Enabling Parked Car Reminder on your iPhone, you will need to pair your iPhone with the Bluetooth on your Car.
The setup process to pair a Car with iPhone varies from vehicle to vehicle, but in general you will be doing the following.
1. First, put your car’s stereo or dashboard system into Bluetooth pairing mode.
2. Next, open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on Bluetooth.
3. On the next screen, make sure that Bluetooth is set to ON position.
4. Your iPhone will scan for Bluetooth enabled devices that it can find in the vicinity and list them under the section labelled as My Devices. You should be able to find your cars Bluetooth on the list (See image above)
5. Tap on your car’s Bluetooth name and let your iPhone pair with the Bluetooth on your car.
Note: Parked Car Reminder works only if your Bluetooth is on. You won’t be getting Parking Reminders, in case you turn OFF Bluetooth.
How to Use Parked Car Reminder
Once your iPhone is linked to your car via its Bluetooth, the Parked Car reminder will set itself automatically, every time you park and exit your Car.
You can access the Parked Car reminder on your iPhone at any time by following the steps below.
1. Tap on the Maps app on your iPhone.
2. Once in the Maps app, swipe up from the Search Bar to see your previous destinations.
3. Next, tap on Parked Car to see your cars location
4. To get your car, tap on Get Directions option
5. Next, tap on Go and follow the instructions to get back to your car.