Left to itself, Facebook can eat up storage space, reduce battery life and adversely impact the performance of your iPhone. Luckily, you can take steps to stop Facebook from slowing down iPhone.
Stop Facebook From Slowing Down iPhone
The Facebook App has a tendency to frequently refresh its data and keep itself busy in background activities. This happens even if the App is not being actively used.
Hence, the key to reducing the adverse impact of Facebook App on iPhone is to limit its background activity and periodically clear up the storage space taken up by Facebook.
Here are some of the steps that you can take to stop Facebook from slowing down iPhone.
- Use Desktop Version of Facebook on iPhone
- Disable Location Services on Facebook
- Disable Background App Refresh on Facebook
- Disable Autoplay Videos
- Clear Facebook Storage Space
1. Use Desktop Version of Facebook on iPhone
The best way to eliminate the impact of Facebook App on iPhone is to delete the Facebook App from your iPhone and get used to using the desktop version of Facebook on iPhone.
Using the Desktop version of Facebook totally limits Facebook from storing data and performing background activities on your iPhone. In-fact, this method gives Facebook no control over your iPhone.
1. Open the Safari browser on your iPhone and go to facebook.com.
2. Login to your Facebook Account.
Note: Tap on Not Now, in case you are prompted to setup One Tap Login.
3. Once you are logged-in, tap on the Share button located in the bottom menu.
4. On the Share menu that appears, tap on Add to Home Screen.
5. On the next screen, tap on the Add option located at the top-right corner of your screen.
This will place a Facebook Icon with link to the Desktop Version of Facebook on the Home Screen of your iPhone. This will make it easy for you to access the desktop version of Facebook by just tapping on the Facebook icon.
The disadvantage of using desktop version of Facebook is that you won’t be receiving Facebook notifications. If this bothers you, you can continue using the mobile version of Facebook after implementing steps 2,3,4 and 5 as listed below.
2. Disable Background App Refresh for Facebook
Facebook App is known for constantly being busy in background activities, constantly connecting to its parent servers, frequently updating and refreshing its data. This means that Facebook App is using Data and resources on your iPhone even while the App is not being used.
1. Tap on Settings > General > Background App Refresh.
2. On the Background app refresh screen, disable the option for Facebook.
3. Disable Location Services For Facebook
Allowing Facebook to access your location information drains battery life and uses data on iPhone.
1. Tap on Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
2. On the Location Services screen, scroll down and tap on Facebook.
3. On the next screen, tap on Never.
4. Prevent Facebook Videos From Autoplaying
Autoplaying of Videos is enabled by default in Facebook. This can slow down your device and lead to excessive consumption of data on iPhone.
1. Open the Facebook app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the 3-line Menu icon, located at the bottom right corner of your screen.
3. Next, tap on the Settings > Account Settings > Videos & Photos.
4. Next, tap on Autoplay > Never Autoplay Videos.
After this, you will no longer find Videos Automatically playing in Facebook.
5. Clear Storage Space Taken Up By Facebook
The Facebook App can quickly fill up storage space on iPhone due to its tendency to cache information and store it on your iPhone.
Over a period of time, Facebook can end up storing a ton of cached data on your iPhone. Hence, follow the steps below to check the amount of storage space taken up by Facebook on your iPhone.
1. Tap on Settings > General > iPhone Storage
2. On iPhone Storage screen, tap on Facebook.
3. On the next screen, take a look at the amount of Storage space taken by Facebook
If Facebook is taking a lot of Storage, you can tap on Delete App. This will delete all the data stored by Facebook App on your iPhone.
After deleting Facebook, you can reinstall the App back on your device and continue using Facebook on your iPhone.
However, make sure that you keep checking the amount of storage space taken by Facebook and repeat the process of deleting the App and reinstalling it back.