Depending on your preference, you can either set WhatsApp to automatically save Photos to iPhone or manually download only selected WhatsApp Photos to iPhone.
Save WhatsApp Photos to iPhone
When you setup WhatsApp for the first time, it prompts you to provide access to the Photos App on your iPhone, which allows it to automatically download and save Photos to iPhone.
If you do not provide this access, WhatsApp won’t be able automatically save Photos to iPhone and it also prevents you from manually downloading selected Photos to iPhone.
Hence, the first step is to enable WhatsApp with access to the Photos App on your device. In this regard, iPhone provides the option to provide either Full Access (All Photos) or Limited (Add Photos Only) option to WhatsApp.
Open the Setting App on your iPhone > go to Privacy & Security > Photos > WhatsApp and select All Photos option.
Note: You won’t be able to upload Photos to WhatsApp, if you select Add Photos Only option.
Now that WhatsApp has access to Photos App, you can either set WhatsApp to automatically download and save photos to iPhone or manually download selected photos to iPhone.
1. Automatically Save WhatsApp Photos to iPhone
If you only have a few WhatsApp Contacts and not worried about WhatsApp dumping unwanted photos to iPhone, you can follow the steps below to make WhatsApp automatically download Photos to iPhone.
1. Open WhatsApp > tap on Settings icon located in bottom menu.
2. From the Settings screen, go to Chats > move the toggle next to Save to Camera Roll to ON position.
After this, you should find WhatsApp automatically saving Photos to the Photos App on your iPhone.
2. Manually Save WhatsApp Photos to iPhone
If you are concerned about unwanted Photos from WhatsApp Groups being automatically downloaded to iPhone, you can disable “Save to Camera Roll” option and manually download selected Photos.
Open WhatsApp > go to Settings icon > Chats and move the toggle next to Save to Camera Roll to OFF position.
After this, you can manually save selected WhatsApp photos to iPhone by following the steps below.
1. Open WhatsApp > tap on Chats tab in bottom menu.
2. On the Chats screen, open the Chat containing Photos that you want to download to iPhone.
3. Once the Chat is open, tap and hold on the Photo that you want to download to iPhone and select the Save option in the menu that appears.
The selected WhatsApp photo will be downloaded and saved to the Photos App on your device.