Google’s Chromecast Device can be used to project media from Laptop and Desktop computers to TV. You will find below the steps to Use Chromecast on Laptop or Desktop computers.
Use Chromecast On Laptop or Desktop Computer
Before being able to use Chromecast on Laptop or Desktop computer, you need to attach Chromecast Device to TV and Setup Chromecast Device.
Previously, it was possible to complete the Setup Process by downloading Chromecast App to Desktop and Laptop computers.
However, Chromecast App is no longer supported by Google and the only way to complete the setup process of a Chromecast Device is by using Google Home App on a mobile device (Phone or Tablet).
Once the initial setup process is completed, the mobile device and Home App are no longer required to Use Chromecast on your Laptop or Desktop computer.
So, let us go ahead and take a look at the steps to use Chromecast on Laptop and Desktop computers.
1. Attach Chromecast Device to TV
As mentioned above, the first step is attach Chromecast Device to your Home Television.
1. Plug in the HDMI End of Google Chromecast Device into the HDMI Port of your Home TV and Plug the USB End of Chromecast to USB Power Adapter (See image below).
2. Next, use the Remote Control of your Home Television to change the Source Input of your TV to match the HDMI Port (HDMI 1, HDMI2….) into which the Chromecast device is plugged-in.
Note: On most Remote Controls you can change the Input Source by pressing Input or Source button.
Press the designated button on the Remote Control and make sure the Television display changes to the selected HDMI Port.
This completes the process of attaching Chromecast device on your Television. The next step is to setup the Chromecast Device to use your WiFi Network.
2. Setup Chromecast Using Google Home App
After attaching Chromecast to TV, the next step is to Setup Chromecast Device using Google Home App on any Mobile Device (Phone or Tablet).
1. Download Google Home App on your Android Phone from Google Play Store or from the App Store in case of iPhone.
2. Once Home App is downloaded, open the Home App and tap on Accept to agree to Terms and Conditions.
3. On the Home Screen, tap on Set up 1 device option.
4. On the next screen, select Home and tap on Next.
5. Wait for Google Home App to Locate your Chromecast device and tap on Yes to continue.
6. You should now see a Code on the screen of your TV and a Code on the screen of your Phone. Tap on Yes if you are able to see the Code on TV screen.
7. On the next screen, you can tap on either Yes, I’m in or No thanks to move to the next step.
8. Next, select a Location for your Chromecast Device and tap on Next.
9. On the next screen, select your WiFi Network and tap on Next.
10. Finally, enter your WiFi Network Password to finish the Setup process of your Chromecast device.
3. Download & Install Google Chrome
Chromecast Device works best with Google’s Chrome Browser. Hence, follow the steps below to download and install the Chrome Browser on your Laptop or Desktop computer.
1. Open the default Edge browser on your Laptop or Desktop computer.
2. Go to Google Chrome’s website and download the latest version of Google Chrome browser on your computer.
3. Select the location for ChromeSetup.exe file on your computer and click on Save.
4. Double-click on the downloaded ChromeSetup.exe file.
5. Wait for Google Chrome browser to be Installed on your computer.
4. How to Use Chromecast on Laptop
Once Chromecast Device is setup, it can be used to project YouTube Videos, Netflix Movies and other media from your Laptop or Desktop computer to TV.
1. Open the Chrome Browser on your Laptop or Desktop computer.
2. Click on 3-dots menu icon and select the Cast option in the drop-down menu.
3. Play any YouTube Video or Netflix Movie on your computer and you will find it projecting on the large screen of your Home Television.
Alternately: You can first start playing the video or movie on your computer and click on the Cast Icon located at the top-right corner of your computer
You will immediately see the Video/Movie playing on the large screen of your Television.