While WhatsApp is basically a mobile messaging system, it can also be used on a Windows computer or Mac using two different methods as provided below.
Use WhatsApp on Computer
The main advantage of using WhatsApp on a Windows PC or Mac is that you get to use a large screen, full size keyboard and superior processing power of the computer.
While the easiest way to use WhatsApp on PC is by making use of WhatsApp Web application, this method basically mirrors your existing WhatsApp Mobile Account on the large screen of your computer.
The second method as provided below allows you to download and use WhatsApp directly on computer, without the need to have a WhatsApp Account on a mobile device.
Method #1. Use WhatsApp on PC or Mac Using WhatsApp Web
If you are already using WhatsApp on a mobile device, it provides the option to access your WhatsApp Acccount on PC or Mac using WhatsApp Web.
Make sure that your mobile device with an active WhatsApp account is placed near the computer and follow the steps below to Use WhatsApp on a Windows PC or Mac.
1. Open the web browser on your computer and visit web.whatsapp.com.
2. On WhatsApp Web website, you will see a QR Code with instructions to Scan the code using your phone.
3. Next, open WhatsApp on your iPhone or Android Phone > Go to Settings > Linked Devices > select Link a Device option.
4. On the next screen, tap on OK. Got it and use the Rear Camera of your Phone to scan the QR Code displayed on the screen of your Windows PC or Mac.
5. Once the QR Code is scanned by phone, you will immediately see all your WhatsApp Messages appearing on the screen of your computer.
You will basically see your active WhatsApp mobile phone account on the screen of your computer, which allows you to send and receive WhatsApp Messages, directly from your Windows PC or Mac.
After you are done using WhatsApp, make sure that you Log Out by clicking on 3-dots Menu icon and selecting the Log Out option in the drop-down menu.
Note: Closing the web browser tab does not log you out of WhatsApp. Hence, make sure that you logout from WhatsApp by using this method.
Method #2. Use WhatsApp Directly on Computer Using BlueStacks
As mentioned above, it is possible to use WhatsApp directly on a Windows PC or Mac, without the need to have a WhatsApp Account on a mobile device.
This can be done by creating a mobile device like environment on the computer by downloading and installing an Android Emulator known as “BlueStacks”.
Once BlueStacks is available on your computer, it allows you to download and use WhatsApp directly on your Windows PC or Mac, just like you do on a mobile phone.
Make sure that you have a phone number ready (Home Phone will do) and follow the steps below to download and Install WhatsApp directly on a Windows PC or Mac.
1. Go to bluestacks.com and download the BlueStacks Installer on your computer.
2. Double-click on the downloaded BlueStacks Installer File.
Note: In case of Mac, you will have to move the downloaded file to Applications Folder.
3. On the next screen, click on Install Now and follow the onscreen instructions to complete installation of BlueStacks Application on your computer.
4. Next, open BlueStacks on your computer > search for WhatsApp in the Search bar.
5. Once you are able to find WhatsApp, click on Install to download and Install WhatsApp on your Computer.
6. After WhatsApp is installed, open WhatsApp on your computer by clicking on WhatsApp icon.
7. On the next screen, select your Country, enter your Phone Number and click on Next.
Note: You can enter your Home Phone Number, in case you do not have a Mobile Phone Number or do not want to use your mobile phone number for this purpose.
8. On the next screen, you will see SMS Verification Failed Message (in case you provided home phone number). Click on Call ME option to receive your verification code by an automated call from WhatsApp.
9. Enter the Verification Code as received from WhatsApp and hit the Enter key.
10. Once your Phone Number is verified, you will immediately see your New WhatsApp Account becoming active on the screen of your computer.
According to BlueStacks, Android Apps and Games should function 6X times faster on the computer, compared to any mobile device.