iOS 9 has a new feature called picture in picture for iPad. You may have tried to use this new feature to play YouTube videos in the background only to learn that you cannot. In this article you will find two methods of using Picture in Picture mode to watch YouTube videos in the background on your iPad.
What is Picture in Picture
In case you do not know, Picture in Picture is a new feature in iOS 9 that allows you to keep FaceTime or other videos running in the background while using another app.
This feature can be useful whenever you are multitasking and want to play YouTube videos in the background while doing other things on your iPad.
Once videos are played in the background they can be re-sized using the pinch to zoom gesture and can be placed in any corner of your iPad’s screen.
Why Can’t I use the Official YouTube App for Picture in Picture?
The official YouTube app is not yet compatible with the Picture in Picture feature and it may never become compatible. The YouTube app only allows picture in picture when you are using the YouTube app itself and nothing else.
But do not worry in this article we will be showing you how to use picture in picture to watch YouTube videos in the background while you use any other app of your choice.
Picture in Picture to Watch YouTube Videos
Listed below are 2 methods that you can use to get the picture in picture feature to watch YouTube Videos in iOS 9.
Picture in Picture Using YouTube App and Safari Browser
The first method involves using the YouTube app and the Safari web browser. This method uses a web app called YouTube PIP.
1. Open up the YouTube app and open the video that you would like to watch.
2. Tap the Share Button in the YouTube app and then choose Copy Link.
3. Head on over to http://ctrlq.org/youtube/pip/ and paste the link of the YouTube video. Once you have pasted the link tap on the Go button.
4. Your video should now appear in a small box, tap on the video in order to play it.
5. Once the video starts playing tap on the Picture in Picture button which is the second last button on the menu at the bottom of the video. (See image below)
Your video should start playing in the bottom right hand corner of your iPad, when this happens you can open any other apps that you wish to and you can choose to resize the video and move the video to any corner of your iPad.
Picture in Picture Using YouPlayer App
In case method 1 did not work for you, or you do not want to copy and paste every single URL into the YouTube PIP every single time there is an alternate method which will also allow you to use picture in picture to watch YouTube videos in the background.
1. Go to the iTunes store on your iPad and download the YouPlayer app.
2. Once downloaded open up the YouPlayer app and search for the video that you are looking for or copy and paste the link of the video.
3. Once the video starts playing locate the Picture in Picture button (which is the button beside the Full screen button) and tap on it.
Your video will now start playing in the background and you can change the size of the video or move the video to any corner of your iPad.
The YouPlayer app is a third party YouTube client app so it may not feature every single YouTube video that you are looking for.