As you must be aware, WhatsApp Read Receipts appear in the form of two blue check marks next to a WhatsApp Message, indicating that a Message has been read. Now, let us take a look at how to Turn OFF WhatsApp Read Receipts and prevent anyone from knowing that you have read their WhatsApp Message.
WhatsApp Read Receipts
WhatsApp by default is set to share Read Receipts via its two blue tick marks, this setting allows all your WhatsApp Contacts to see if you have read their message or not.
However, this instant confirmation of a Whatsapp Message being read can be a problem in certain cases. For example, you may end up offending your WhatsApp Contacts, in case you happen to check their Messages on WhatsApp and choose not to reply back due to your busy schedule or other valid reasons.
Since, your WhatsApp contacts may not know about your busy schedule or the situation in your life, they may be offended to see you checking Messages (as indicated by two blue tick marks) but choosing not to reply to their Messages.
Luckily, WhatsApp allows you to turn OFF Read Receipts and you can make use of this to prevent others from knowing whether or not you have read their Messages. Also, you can hide or disable “WhatsApp Last Seen” and prevent others from knowing the date and time when you last checked your WhatsApp Messages.
Before going ahead with the steps to hide WhatsApp Read Receipts, you need to be aware that disabling Read Receipts also prevents you from knowing whether or not your own Message has been read by other people.
Turn OFF WhatsApp Read Receipts On iPhone
Follow the steps below to disable WhatsApp Read Receipts on your iPhone.
1. Open WhatsApp on your iPhone
2. Next, tap on the Settings option located at the bottom right corner of your screen (See image below).
3. On the Settings screen, tap on the Account option (See image below).
4. On the next screen, tap on Privacy.
5. On the Privacy screen, turn off the option for Read Receipts by moving the toggle to OFF position (See image below).
6. While you are still on the Privacy screen, tap on Last Seen option.
7. On the next screen, tap on Nobody
After these steps, your WhatsApp Contacts will not be able to see whether or not you have read their messages. Also, none of your Contacts will be able to see when you were last active on WhatsApp (since, you have also disabled “Last Seen”).
Turn OFF WhatsApp Read Receipts on Android Phone
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android Phone
2. Next, tap on the 3 dots Menu icon located at the top right corner of your screen (See image below).
3. From the Drop-down Menu, tap on Settings.
4. On the Settings screen, tap on the Account option.
5. On the next screen, tap on Privacy
6. On the Privacy screen, remove the check mark next to Read Receipts (See image below)
7. While you are still on the Privacy screen, tap on Last Seen.
8. You will see a pop-up, tap on Nobody.
Turning off the Read Receipts option in WhatsApp ensures that your Contacts won’t be able to see whether or not you have read their messages. As mentioned above, this feature works both ways, just like your Contacts, you too won’t be able to see whether your contacts have read your messages.