Making a backup of your iPhone or iPad using iTunes can save your day in case your device gets lost, damaged, stolen or becomes buggy, making it necessary to reset your device and restore it from a stable backup. In this article, you will find the steps to make a Backup of iPhone or iPad using iTunes.
Backup iPhone and iPad Using iTunes
iCloud backups are easy, automated and happen over a WiFi network, without your active involvement. However, it is still recommended to backup your iPhone using iTunes due the following reasons.
1. Apple gives you only 5 GB of free storage space on iCloud, you may eventually run out of this space and will need to pay for additional storage space.
2. iTunes creates Backups of your iPhone and iPad right on your computer. Hence, you are not limited by space and the backups are fully in your control.
3. An iTunes backup is a complete backup of your iPhone and includes all the data that is on your iPhone. However, the same cannot be said about iCloud Backups, which only includes the most essential data. You can read more about this in our article: Difference between iTunes and iCloud Backups
Backup iPhone to Computer Using iTunes
Follow the steps below to make a backup of your iPhone or iPad to your Computer, using iTunes.
1. Download and Install the latest Version of iTunes to your Computer (in case you haven’t already done this)
2. Open iTunes on your computer and Connect your iPhone to the computer using its supplied USB cable.
3. First, click on the Phone icon as it appears on your computer. This will reveal the iTunes Settings Menu (See image below)
4. Next, click on the Summary tab in the sidebar Menu, to see the details of your iPhone and backup options (See image below and image in Step#5)
5. Under the section Backups, first check the option This computer and then click on the Back Up Now button to start the process of backing up your iPhone to your local computer (See image below)
You can also check Encrypt iPhone Backup, in case you want to save your Passwords, Health and Activity Data to the computer (See image above)
Alert: In case you are making an Encrypted Backup, make sure that you write down the password for the Encrypted Backup File and keep it in a safe place. You won’t be able to access the Encrypted Backup without knowing the password.
6. You will be able to see the progress of iTunes Backup on the top bar of your computer.
The time to make a backup of your iPhone will depend on the amount of data on your iPhone.
Confirm iTunes Backup
Before disconnecting your iPhone from the computer, it is a good practice to make sure that iTunes has indeed made a backup of your iPhone to your computer.
1. Click on Edit and next click on Preferences from the drop-down menu
2. On the next screen, click on Devices
You should be able to see a backup of your iPhone with your name or the name of the iPhone (John iPhone or such) and the time of the backup (see image above).
What is included in iTunes Backup
In case you are wondering, the following items will be saved to your computer when you backup your iPhone using iTunes.
- Photos that you had saved on iPhone
- Text Messages & iMessages
- All your Contacts and Calendars
- All Your settings and app data
The following items are not included in an iTunes Backup, since they are already available on iTunes and you can download all your purchased items (Apps, Music, Books, etc) from iTunes and App Store.
- Music, Movies, TV Shows
- Podcasts, ringtones
- Apps, Books
- Touch ID settings
- Apple Pay information and settings
- Activity, Health, and Keychain data (You can use Encrypted iTunes Backup to save this info)
Backup Apps, Music and Books Using iTunes
As mentioned above, all the items that you had purchased from iTunes and App store will not be included in an iTunes Backup. However, you can still make a Backup of your purchased items (Apps, Music, Books) by following the steps below.
1. Open iTunes on a computer
2. Connect your iPhone to Computer using its supplied USB cable
3. Next, click on File > Devices > Transfer Purchases from iPhone (See image below)
4. All your purchased items will now be backed up to your computer.
Note: Your computer may be set to start making a Backup as soon as it connects to your iOS device. If this is the case, you should be able to see the Backup in progress as soon your iPhone is connected to the computer.
If this is not the case, you can follow the above steps to make an iTunes Backup of your iPhone Manually.
Backup iPhone Wirelessly Using iTunes
You can also setup your iPhone to backup to your computer using iTunes over a WiFi Connection by following the steps below.
1. Tap on Settings > iCloud > Backup
2. On the next screen, turn off iCloud Backup by moving the slider to OFF position.
3. Next, tap on Settings > General
4. Scroll down and tap on iTunes WiFi Sync.
5. On the next screen, tap on Sync Now to start the process of backing up your iPhone to your iTunes Authorized Computer over a WiFi Connection.
Note: Once you enable WiFi Sync option for iTunes on your iPhone, it will automatically start making a backup of your iPhone to your computer, whenever your computer is connected to a WiFi Network and you are not using your iPhone.