Although Microsoft has removed the Guest User Account in Windows 10, there is still a way to create a limited privileges Account in Windows 10, quite similar to the Guest User Account in previous versions of Windows.
Guest Accounts in Windows 10
The idea behind Guest User Account that used to be available in previous versions of Windows was to provide computer users with a limited privileges Account, in addition to Admin and Regular User Accounts.
Since the Guest User Account had limited privileges, it was ideal for use as a common User Account that anyone in the house could be allowed to use, without the risk of main files, programs and settings being changed or deleted from the computer.
For some reason, Microsoft has removed the Guest Account in Windows 10. Also, you are not allowed to use the Name “Guest Account” for any User Account that you Create in Windows 10.
However, you can still create a User Account with limited privileges in Windows 10 and use this User Account as your Guest User Account.
Create Guest User Account in Windows 10
Follow the steps below to create a Guest Account in Windows 10.
1. Right click on Windows 10 Start button and then click on Command Prompt (Admin) option.
2. On the Command Prompt window, type net user Visitor /add /active:yes and hit the Enter key on the keyboard of your computer.
In this command, the word “Visitor” is the Name of the Guest User Account that we are trying to add. You can use any other User Name for your Guest Account. However, you cannot use the word “Guest” as the User Name as it is reserved by Windows.
3. Once the Guest User Account is created, you can Enable the ability to use a Password for the Guest User account by typing net user Visitor * in the Command Prompt window (See image below).
Once you type net user Visitor * and hit the enter key, you will be prompted to type a Password, in this case let us skip the Password by hitting the Enter key. Next, you will be prompted to Retype the password to confirm. In this case we will be pressing the Enter key again to skip this step.
4. The next step is to delete the newly created Guest Account from Users Group and add it to Guests group.
For this you will have to type net localgroup users Visitor /delete and Press the Enter Key. Once this command is executed, type net localgroup guests Visitor /add and press the Enter Key on the keyboard of your computer.
This completes the creation of a Guest User Account on your Windows 10 Computer and you can trust this User Account to remain at Guest Level, with limited privileges.
This User Account will have the privileges to browse the internet, use apps, watch videos, play music and perform almost all tasks that a common computer user is likely to perform on a computer.
However, this account will not allow anyone to Change system settings, install new programs or apps, delete or remove programs and perform any other action that requires more Permissions.
How to Switch to Guest User Account in Windows 10
Now that you have created a Guest User Account in Windows 10, you can switch to the Guest User Account at any time by following the steps below.
1. Click on the Windows 10 Start button and then click on the Username icon (2).
2. Next, click on the Guest User Account (Visitor) that you had created in the menu that appears (See image above).
Delete Guest Accounts in Windows 10
In case you want to, you can delete Guest Accounts at any time on your Windows 10 computer by following the steps below.
1. Login to your Computer using your Admin Account.
2. Next, right-click on the Windows 10 Start button and then click on Control Panel in the Menu that appears (See image below).
3. On the Control Panel screen, make sure you are on Category view and then click on the User Accounts option (See image below).
4. On the next screen, click on Remove User Accounts option (See image below).
5. On the next screen, click on the User Account that you would like to remove (See image below).
6. Next, click on Delete User Account option (See image below).
7. On the Delete Account screen, you will be provided with the option to either delete all the Files belonging to the Guest User Account or save them to a Folder on your Desktop.
8. Choose an option that is appropriate for your needs.
Hope this helps you in Creating a Guest User Account on your Windows 10 Computer.