The default iOS keyboard has a basic layout and does not come with features like Multilingual typing, Speedy Swipe Typing, Choice of over 800 Emojis and other features that you can get by Enabling SwiftKey on your iPhone.
In this article we will be showing you how to Enable SwiftKey on your iPhone and iPad and also how to disable SwiftKey, in case you want to go back to the default iOS Keyboard.
SwiftKey is an intelligent keyboard designed to learn from your writing style and help you type faster by its ability to auto-correct and predict the next-word with a high accuracy.
SwiftKey allows you to type in two languages at the same time, without changing settings and offers a choice of over 800 Emojis to spice up your texting sessions.
SwiftKey was originally made available only on Android devices; however in 2014 SwiftKey for iPhone and iPad was launched on the iTunes App Store.
Enable SwiftKey on iPhone and iPad
Follow the steps below to Enable SwiftKey on your iPhone or iPad.
1. Open the App Store on your iPhone or iPad and search for SwiftKey.
2. SwiftKey should come up at the top of the search results. Tap on the ‘Get’ button located beside the app, the button will turn to ‘Install’.
3. Tap on Install
4. On the next screen, Enter your Apple ID and Password and tap on OK
5. After the SwiftKey app is installed, tap on Settings from the home screen of your iPhone
6. Next, tap on General
7. Tap on Keyboard and then tap on Keyboards
8. Next, tap on Add New Keyboard
9. On the next screen, tap on SwiftKey, located under the heading Third-Party Keyboards
SwiftKey will be immediately enabled on your iPhone.
Change SwiftKey Theme on iPhone
In case you do not like SwiftKey’s default theme, you can follow the steps below to change the theme of your Keyboard.
1. Open the SwiftKey app on your iPhone or iPad
2. Tap on Design
3. Select a New Theme for your iPhone Keyboard.
You will get to choose from 3 themes that SwiftKey offers for free – Nickel dark, Nickel light and a Happy holidays Theme.
Additionally, you can go for other paid themes that range in price from $1.39 to $2.79.
Disable SwiftKey on iPhone
In case you feel like going back to the original iOS keyboard or another keyboard you can easily disable SwiftKey on your iPhone or iPad by following the steps below.
Temporarily Disable SwiftKey on iPhone
This method disables SwiftKey temporarily meaning you can easily switch back to SwiftKey in a few steps
1. Tap and hold on the Smiley face icon located near the bottom left corner of your screen.
2. Tap on Switch to other Keyboard
3. From the menu that pops up, tap on Leave
In case you want to get back to SwiftKey, simply tap and hold on the globe icon from the bottom left corner and from the menu select SwiftKey.
Permanently Disable SwiftKey on iPhone
In case you do not like SwiftKey at all, you can disable it permanently by following the steps below.
1. Tap on Settings
2. Tap on General, then tap on Keyboard
3. Next tap on Keyboards
4. On the next screen, Swipe Left on SwiftKey to reveal a side menu. From the Side menu tap on Delete.
This will delete SwiftKey as a keyboard from your iPhone.