By default, Microsoft Teams opens automatically upon boot and remains active in the background. However, it is easy to Stop Microsoft Teams from starting automatically on your computer.
Stop Microsoft Teams from Starting Automatically
Microsoft Teams comes bundled with certain versions of Microsoft Office subscriptions and gets installed on your computer along with Microsoft Office.
Once this program gets on your device, it tends to automatically launch itself as soon as you boot the computer and remains active and available for your immediate or later use.
While this behaviour might be useful for active Microsoft Team Users, it is not at all required, if you do not use the program or only use it occasionally.
Hence, you may want to Stop Microsoft Teams from starting automatically and unnecessarily using up resources on your computer.
1. Prevent Microsoft Teams From Starting Automatically
The easiest way to disable Microsoft Teams Auto Start is by going to the Startup Settings on your Windows 10 computer.
1. Go to Settings > Apps.
2. On the next screen, click on Startup in the left-pane. In the right-pane, move the toggle next to Microsoft Teams to OFF position.
Hopefully, this should be enough to prevent Microsoft Teams Auto Start on on your computer.
2. Stop Microsoft Teams Auto Start and Background Activity
If the first method did not work, you will have to disable Microsoft Teams Auto start by going to the Settings of MS Teams program.
1. Open MS Teams > If prompted, enter your Microsoft Office Email Address and Password to Sign-in.
2. Click on your Profile Icon and select Settings in the drop-down menu.
3. On the Settings screen, uncheck Auto-start application, Open application in background and On close, keep the application running options.
4. Click on your Profile icon again and this time select the Sign out option.
After this, you should no longer find Microsoft Teams starting automatically upon boot or remaining active and running in the background on your computer.
If you do not use Microsoft Teams and have no plans of using it in future, you can consider uninstalling Microsoft Teams from your computer.