You will find below the steps to Limit or Stop Facebook from using Cellular Data on iPhone, in case you are nearing your Data Cap or concerned about the excessive amount of Cellular Data being used by the Facebook app on your iPhone.
Limit/Stop Facebook From Using Cellular Data on iPhone
Facebook was one of the first Social Media apps to introduce the feature of Auto-playing Videos. This Autoplaying of Videos as users are checking into their Account has been blamed as one of the main reasons for the high Data Usage by the Facebook app on Smartphones.
The Facebook App is also known to be constantly busy in the background, connecting to its parent servers and frequently updating and refreshing its data. This means that Facebook will be using your Data, even while you are not actively using the App.
Luckily, it is possible to stop Facebook Videos from Autoplaying, in order to limit the Cellular Data usage by the Facebook App. Also, you can even totally stop Facebook from using Cellular Data on your iPhone, by limiting the App to only the WiFi network on your phone.
Stop Facebook From Using Cellular Data On iPhone
Follow the steps below to prevent Facebook from using Cellular Data on your iPhone and limit Facebook only to the WiFi network.
1. From the Home Screen of your iPhone, tap on Settings.
2. On the settings screen, tap on Cellular.
3. On the Cellular screen, Scroll down and toggle OFF the switch next to Facebook (See image below)
This will completely cut off Facebook from using any Cellular Data on your iPhone. The Facebook app on your iPhone will be able to access internet only when your iPhone is connected to a WiFi network.
While this option is extreme, it can be useful when you are on a limited Data Plan, you are getting closer to your Data Cap or when you are traveling abroad and do not want to incur excessive Data Roaming and Data Overage charges.
Limit Cellular Data Usage By Facebook On iPhone
It is fact that checking into your Facebook Account every few minutes can result in Data usage. However, as mentioned above, Autoplaying of Videos as you are checking your Facebook account is one of the main reasons for high data usage on Facebook.
Hence, one of the best ways to reduce or limit data usage while using the Facebook app is to disable the Autoplaying of Videos on Facebook.
Prevent Facebook videos From Autoplaying
Follow the steps below to stop Facebook Videos from playing Automatically.
1. Open the Facebook app on your iPhone.
2. Next, tap on the 3-bar Menu icon, located at the bottom right corner of your screen (See image below).
3. On the next screen, tap on the Settings option.
4. Next, you will see a pop-up, tap on Account Settings.
5. On the Account Settings screen, tap on Videos & Photos option.
6. On the “Videos and Photos” screen, tap on the Autoplay option.
7. On the next screen, select either On WiFi Connections Only or Never Autoplay Videos option (See image below).
In case you select, “On WiFi Connections Only”, Facebook Videos will not be Autoplaying while your iPhone is connected to a Cellular Network. However, Videos will start Autoplaying as soon as your iPhone is connected to a WiFi network.
Select the “Never Autoplay Videos” option, in case you do not like Facebook Videos Automatically starting to play.