The name that Siri calls you is based on the information stored on your own contact card that is created when you first setup your device. However, you can make changes to this card like adding a nickname and make Siri call you by any name that you like to hear.
Setup Siri to Call you By Any Name
Setting up your digital assistant Siri to call you by name is really simple and involves the following steps.
- Add a Nickname to your contact card
- Associate your contact card with Siri
- Make Siri Call you by your desired name
- Correct Siri’s pronunciation (if necessary)
Add Nickname to Contact Card
1. Tap on Contacts icon on the home screen
2. Browse for your contacts card and Tap on it (it may be marked as “me’)
3. Tap on Edit, review the contact information and make changes in case required.
4. Scroll down to the bottom and tap Add Field.
4. Tap on Nickname and Type the name you want to be called.
5. Tap on Done to finish editing
Siri’s first choice for calling you is by the name in the nickname field. Next it will default to the first name field.
Associate Your Contact Card with Siri
1. Tap the “Settings” icon on the home screen
2. Tap on “General” and Select “Siri” from the list of options.
3. Tap on “My Info” to choose the contact card you want to associate with the app. Make sure that your recently edited contact card is the one that you will choose.
Make Siri Call You By Any Name
Follow the steps below to get Siri to call you by name. In this example let us assume that you want Siri to address you as James.
1. Press and hold the “Home” button till you hear two beeps to launch Siri
2. Say “Siri, call me James” you can substitute James with any name that you’d like to be called. Speak slowly and clearly for Siri to get your name and pronunciation right.
3. Siri will reply “From now on, I’ll call you James OK”
4. Reply OK and move to next step if necessary
Correct Siri’s Pronunciation
Siri may not be able to pronounce your name correctly at first. Here’s how to get Siri to say your name properly.
1. Locate the Contacts button on the Home screen.
2. Tap on your name, then tap Edit
3. Scroll down to the bottom and tap Add Field.
4. Tap either Phonetic First Name or The Nick Name. Spell your name out phonetically, then tap Done.
If you have a nickname in your address book, Siri will use that instead of your first name, which is the default. Depending on your address book, spell either your first name or the nick name phonetically in the nickname field.
Using this method is the best way to correct pronunciation of your name, no matter how you spell your name phonetically, Siri will still display your name with its correct spelling.