In case you are concerned about privacy, it is possible to prevent Apps and Programs from accessing the webcam on your computer. You will find below the steps to Prevent Apps from Accessing Webcam in Windows 10.
Prevent Apps From Accessing Webcam in Windows 10
Windows 10 makes it really easy to see which Apps have access to the Webcam on your computer and also to enable or disable access to the webcam for All or Specific Apps on your computer.
However, traditional desktop programs can access the webcam in multiple ways and do not necessarily appear in the list of Apps applications having access to webcam.
Also, Remote Access Tools (RATs) used by hackers and other types of malware avoid detection by using the webcam at a lower level and in different ways.
Hence, the need to use different methods to prevent Apps and Programs from accessing the webcam in Windows 10.
1. Prevent All Apps from Accessing Webcam in Windows 10
Follow the steps below to prevent all the Apps on your computer from accessing the webcam.
1. Open Settings > click on Privacy.
2. On the next screen, click on Camera in the left pane. In the right-pane, toggle OFF the option for Allow apps to access your camera.
This will prevent all the Apps from accessing the webcam on your computer.
2. Prevent Specific Apps from Accessing Webcam in Windows 10
Follow the steps below to prevent specific Apps from accessing webcam in Windows 10.
1. Open Settings on your computer and tap on the Privacy tab.
2. On the Privacy screen, scroll down and tap on Camera in the left pane. In the right-pane, take a look at list of Apps under section “Choose which Apps can access your camera”.
The Apps that have the toggle next to them set to ON position have access to the built-in camera on your computer.
You can prevent any App from accessing the Camera on your computer by moving the toggle next to the Apps to OFF position.
3. Prevent Desktop Programs from Accessing Webcam in Windows 10
The only way to prevent unknown Desktop Programs and Remote Access Tools (RATs) from accessing the webcam is to disable the webcam on your computer.
1. Right-click on the Start button and click on Device Manager.
2. On the Device Manager screen, expand the entry for Cameras (or Imaging Devices) > right-click on Integrated Webcam and click on Disable option.
3. On the confirmation pop-up, click on Yes to confirm.
4. Restart your computer to implement this change.
This will disable the integrated Webcam on your Windows 10 Computer.
4. Hardware Solution to Disable Webcam in Windows 10
If you want to play it safe, you can simply cover the webcam with a sticker or use Webcam Covers as available on Amazon.
In case of a Desktop computer, you can simply unplug the attached webcam to totally prevent the possibility of the webcam being used by Remote Access tools (RATs).