If you are on a limited data plan it is really important that you control the amount of data used for streaming and downloading music on your iPhone. You will find below the steps to Reduce Data Usage by Apple Music on iPhone.
Reduce Data Usage by Apple Music on iPhone
With an unlimited data plan, you will be in a position to listen to any of the 50 million songs that Apple Music has in its library, at any time on your iPhone.
However, most users are on limited data plan and going over the data limit can be expensive.
Hence, you are better off regularly monitoring data usage on your iPhone and making use of the tips as provided below to Reduce Cellular Data usage by Apple Music on iPhone.
For more tips on reducing Cellular Data Usage on iPhone, you can refer to this guide: How to Reduce Cellular Data Usage on iPhone
1. Disable Cellular Data for Streaming Apple Music
If you have an Apple Music subscription, you have the option to download songs, albums or playlists for offline listening on your iPhone.
For maximum data savings, you need to get into the habit downloading music over a WiFi Network, instead of streaming Apple music using expensive Cellular data.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone, scroll down and tap on Music.
2. On the Music screen, tap on Cellular Data (Mobile Data in UK)
3. On the next screen, disable cellular data for Music Streaming on your iPhone by moving the toggle next to Streaming to OFF position.
Note: After this setting, you will be able to stream Apple Music on your iPhone only when it is connected to a WiFi network.
2. Disable Cellular Data for Updating Music Library
Even if you turn OFF Cellular Data for Streaming, Apple Music can still use your expensive cellular data for updating music library and loading artwork.
To prevent this, go to Settings > Music > Cellular Data and move the toggle next to Cellular Data to OFF position.
3. Disable High Quality Streaming
The amount of data used by Apple Music varies based on the quality of streaming as set on your iPhone.
You can expect considerable data savings by disabling High Quality Streaming while using Cellular data on your iPhone.
Go to Settings > Music > Cellular Data > and move the toggle next to High Quality Streaming to OFF position.
4. Disable Cellular Data for Music Downloads
Follow the steps below to prevent your iPhone from using your expensive Mobile or Cellular data for Music downloads.
Go to Settings > Music > Cellular Data and move the toggle next to Downloads to OFF position.
5. Disable Automatic Downloads
When you purchase music on iTunes using computer, your iPhone might be downloading your purchases using Cellular data.
Hence, follow the steps below to Disable the option for Automatic Music Downloads on your iPhone.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone and tap on your Apple ID.
2. On the Apple ID screen, tap on iTunes & App Store.
3. On the next screen, disable Automatic downloads for the Music App by moving the toggle next Music to OFF position.
After this setting, your iPhone will download purchases only while it is connected to a WiFi Network.