Did you know that your iPhone can also double up as your Medical ID in case of emergencies? Continue reading to find out how easy it is to set up and access your Medical ID on iPhone or iPad.
iPhone Medical ID
The Medical ID feature is built right into the iOS Health app on your iPhone. This can be accessed by anyone in case of an emergency, even when your phone is locked (as it should be).
Considering the popularity of iPhone, you can expect most medical personnel to be trained to access the Medical ID from your iPhone and get useful information like your Name, Age, Blood group, Medical conditions, Allergies, Drug interactions, your Emergency contacts and more.
You can set up the Medical ID on iPhone in such a way that it can be easily accessed in case of an emergency, even when your phone is locked and protected by a Passcode.
However, you may be pleased to know that a Passcode will still be required to unlock and get full access to your iPhone. Anyone in possession of your phone will not be able to make calls, access your contacts or get past the locked screen in any way without entering the Passcode.
Set Up Your Medical ID on iPhone
Follow the steps below to set up your Medical ID on iPhone.
1. From the home screen tap on the Health App on your iPhone.
2. Next tap on Medical ID tab – You will find this at the bottom of the screen on your iPhone (See image below).
3. Tap on create Medical ID link (See image below).
4. Look for “Show When Locked” section and make sure that it is turned ON.
This step will ensure that your medical information is accessible to emergency medical personnel, even when your iPhone is locked.
5. Enter all the information that you feel is important and useful in the case of any emergency. You may type in information like Your Name, Age, Blood Group, Emergency Contacts, Medical Conditions, Prescription Drugs that you are currently taking, Food Allergies and other information.
In case you want to, you can even upload a picture of yourself and provide any other information that can be useful in an emergency.
6. After entering information, press on the Done button from the upper right hand corner of your screen to save your medical information (See image above).
Note: You can always go back and make changes to the information on your Medical ID at any time by accessing your iPhone’s Health app.
How to Access Medical ID in Case of An Emergency
In the case of an emergency (hope this never happens), emergency medical personnel and anyone who wants to help you will be able to access the Medical ID on your locked iPhone by any of these two methods.
1. By tapping on “Emergency” – On the same screen where you normally enter your Passcode (See image below).
2. By Tapping on “Medical ID” in the lower left corner of the Emergency call screen. From this screen they will be able to call 911 for emergencies and access you medical information.