In case you are witnessing slow internet browsing speeds on your iPhone or iPad, you can consider the option of changing the DNS Servers on your device to a faster DNS Server and see if this helps in any improvement in the speed of Safari and Chrome browsers on your iPhone or iPad.
DNS Servers on iPhone and iPad
As indicated above, the slow speed of the WiFi Network on your iPhone or iPad could be due to crowded and slow DNS Servers as provided by your Internet Service Provider.
Hence, switching to faster and free to use DNS servers as provided by Google or OpenDNS can often result in significant improvement in the performance of Safari and Chrome browsers on your iPhone.
Before going ahead with the steps to change the DNS servers on your iPhone, you need to be aware of the following.
1. DNS Servers can only be changed for the WiFi Network on your iPhone. There is no provision in iOS to change the DNS servers for the Cellular Network.
2. The change in DNS servers is network specific, there is no Global option on your iPhone to change the DNS for all the WiFi Networks that you connect to on your iPhone.
For example, let us assume that you use two WiFi Networks, one at Home and another one at your Office. In this case, you will need to change the DNS servers for the Home Network and then follow the steps once again to change the DNS servers for the Office WiFi Network.
3. Once you change the DNS servers for a particular WiFi Network, your iPhone will remember the settings and use the same DNS settings, every time you connect to that particular Network.
Change DNS Servers on iPhone and iPad
Follow the steps below to change the DNS servers on your iPhone.
1. From the Home Screen of your iPhone, tap on Settings.
2. On the Settings screen, tap on WiFi.
3. On the WiFi Screen, look for your Network Name and then tap on the “i” icon, located next to your Network Name (See image below)
4. On the next screen, make sure that you are on the DHCP tab and then tap on the DNS option (See image below)
5. Next, delete the current DNS entry and enter 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 to change the DNS to Google (See image above)
In case you want to use OpenDNS, enter 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
After changing the DNS servers, you should be able to see an improvement in the browsing speed, in case the problem of slow internet on your iPhone is related to slow DNS used by your Internet Service Provider.