If you are experiencing network problems and slow browsing speeds, switching to Google DNS or OPEN DNS might help in fixing the problem. You will find below the steps to Change DNS Server in Windows 10.
Change DNS Server in Windows 10
By default, Windows 10 automatically configures the network connection on your computer to use the DNS Servers of your Internet Service Provider.
This automatic setting is ideal for most users who do not want to go through the hassle of setting up a DNS Server on their Computer.
However, if the DNS servers of your Internet Service provided get crowded, you will experience slower browsing speeds and network connectivity issues on your computer.
In such cases, it makes sense to change the DNS Serves on your computer to either Google DNS or OpenDNS and see if this helps in fixing the problem.
Both Google DNS and OpenDNS are known to be highly reliable DNS Servers and are likely to be faster than the DNS Servers used by your Service Provider.
Also, in case of OpenDNS, you will be able to make use of additional features like content filtering, anti-phishing and child protection controls.
1. Change DNS Server to Google or OpenDNS
Follow the steps below to change DNS Servers on your computer to either Google DNS or OpenDNS.
1. Open Settings > click on Network & Internet.
2. On the Network & Internet Settings screen, scroll down in the right pane and click on Change Adapter Options.
3. On the next screen, double-click on the active Network Name for which you want to change the DNS Server.
4. On the next screen, click on the Properties button.
Note: You will be prompted to enter your Admin Password, in case you are not currently logged in with your Admin Account.
5. On WiFi Properties screen, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
6. On the next screen, select Use the following DNS Server addresses option and enter 188.8.131.52 in the box next to Preferred DNS Server and 184.108.40.206 in the box next to Alternate DNS server.
Note: In case you want to use OpenDNS type 220.127.116.11 in Preferred DNS Server box and 18.104.22.168 in Alternate DNS Server box.
7. Click on OK to save the new DNS Server settings.
With these steps you have successfully changed the DNS Server on your computer to Google DNS.