In case the Home Button on your iPhone has become unresponsive or you are missing the Home button on iPhone X, you can add a Virtual Home Button on iPhone using the Accessibility feature in iOS.
Add Virtual Home Button on iPhone X
The AssistiveTouch feature in iOS allows you to perform a wide variety of actions on your iPhone or iPad, without using any buttons or gestures.
Once the AssistiveTouch Icon is enabled on your iPhone, you will be able to go back to the Home screen from anywhere on your iPhone by simply tapping on the Virtual Home Screen Icon located within the AssistiveTouch Menu.
In case you do not like the idea of finding Virtual Home Button in the Accessibility Menu, you can make the Assistive Touch Icon bring up the Home Screen on a single tap, practically converting the AssistiveTouch icon into a Virtual or Touch Screen Home Button.
Add AssistiveTouch Icon on iPhone or iPad
First, follow the steps below to Add the AssistiveTouch Icon on your iPhone or iPad. Later on we can convert the AssistiveTouch Icon into a Virtual or Touch Screen Home button.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPhone X.
2. On the Settings screen, tap on General.
3. On the General Settings screen, tap on Accessibility.
4. On the Accessibility screen, scroll down and tap on the AssistiveTouch option.
5. On the next screen, turn on the option for AssistiveTouch by moving the toggle to ON position.
6. You will immediately see a Floating AssistiveTouch Icon on the screen of your iPhone.
7. Tapping on the AssistiveTouch Icon brings up an AssistiveTouch Menu, and you will find the Virtual Home Button within the AssistiveTouch Menu (See image below).
Tapping on the Virtual Home button takes you back to the Home screen on your iPhone or iPad, just like the actual iPhone Home Button.
Turn AssistiveTouch Icon into Virtual Home Button
By default, a single tap on the AssistiveTouch icon opens the AssistiveTouch Menu, from where you can access the Virtual Home button. However, you can customize the AssistiveTouch Icon and turn it into a Virtual Home Screen button by following the steps below.
1. Tap on Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch.
2. On the AssistiveTouch screen, tap on Single-Tap option (See image below)
3. On the Single-tap screen, tap on the Home option.
From now, the AssistiveTouch Icon will start behaving like a Touch Screen or Virtual Home button on your iPhone. It will take you back to the Home Screen, whenever you tap on it, just like the physical Home button.
In case you also want to have the option of using Accessibility Menu, tap on Double-tap option on the AssistiveTouch Screen and then tap on Open Menu option on the next screen.
After this setting, you can continue using the AssistiveTouch Icon like a Touch Screen Home Button and also access the full AssistiveTouch Menu by double-tapping on the AssistiveTouch Icon.
Make Virtual Home Button Less Distracting
In case the visibility of virtual home button is distracting you, it is possible to reduce the opacity of Virtual Home Button when it is not in use.
1. Open Settings > General > Accessibility.
2. On the Accessibility screen, scroll down and tap on AssistiveTouch option.
3. On the AssistiveTouch screen, scroll down and tap on Idle Opacity.
4. On the Idle Opacity screen, drag the slider to the left to decrease the opacity or the visibility of Virtual Home button, while it is not in use.