Apart from being annoying, getting spam Messages in WhatsApp can be potentially dangerous. You can find below the steps to Block Spam Messages on WhatsApp.
Block Spam Messages in WhatsApp
While most spam messages in WhatsApp are likely to be harmless, there is always the possibility of a harmless looking spam message trying to trick you into visiting unsafe websites, designed to install adware/malware on your device.
Hence, it is in your interest to block spam massages in WhatsApp and reduce the possibility of your device being infected with Adware or Malware.
1. Block Spam Messages in WhatsApp
All that is required to block a Spam Message in WhatsApp is to open the Message, tap on the Phone Number of the Sender and select Block Contact option.
1. Open WhatsApp > tap on the Spam Message that you want to block. Make sure that you do not tap on any image or link in the body of the message.
2. On the Sender’s Info screen, tap on the Phone Number of the Spam Message Sender.
3. On the next screen, scroll down and select Block Contact option.
The Phone Number of the Spammer will be added to the list of blocked WhatsApp Numbers on your iPhone.
2. Prevent Spam Messages in WhatsApp Using Privacy Settings
You can prevent and certainly reduce the chances of receiving Spam Messages using WhatsApp Privacy Settings.
1. Open WhatsApp > tap on Settings tab in bottom menu (If you are on iPhone).
If you are on Android Phone, tap on 3-dots menu icon (top-right corner) and select Settings in the drop-down menu.
2. From the Settings screen, navigate to Account > Privacy > Groups and select My Contacts option.
Similarly, you can prevent unknown people from viewing your Last Seen, Online Status, Profile Photo and About section by tapping on each of these options on the Privacy Screen and selecting My Contacts on the next screen.
What Happens When You Block Spam Messages in WhatsApp?
When you block a Spam Message in WhatsApp, the sender of the Spam Message won’t be receiving any notification about being blocked.
Once the Spamming Phone Number is blocked, any further Messages sent by the Spammer will not show up on your device and they will not be delivered to you.
The Spammer won’t be able to see your WhatsApp Last Seen and Status Updates, which might signal the Spammer that you have blocked his/her Phone Number.