By default, the Dock on your Mac is positioned at the bottom of the screen. However, you can change the Dock position on Mac to either the Left or Right side of your screen, depending on your choice.
Change Dock Position On Mac
While most Mac users are used to seeing the Dock located at the bottom of the screen, there are some users who would like to see the Dock to the left of their screen, away from its prominently visible place at the bottom of the screen.
One thing to keep in mind is that App icon sizes are larger when the Dock is located at its default Bottom Position. Depending on your screen, you may see a significant reduction in the App icon sizes, when you change the Dock position to the Left or Right side of your screen.
Change Dock Position On Mac Using System Preferences
Follow the steps below to change the Dock Position on your Mac using the System Preferences Menu option.
1. Click on the Apple Logo in the top Menu bar on your Mac and then click on System Preferences… in the drop-down menu.
2. On the System Preferences screen, click on the Dock option.
3. On the next screen, you will see Position on Screen entry set to Bottom by default.
4. To change the Dock Position, simply click on Left or Right, depending on whichever Dock position suits you (See image above)
Quick Way of Changing Dock Position on Mac
A quick way of changing the Dock position on your Mac is by right clicking on the Dock Line that separates the Apps and the Trash can.
1. Right click your mouse on the Dock line (See image below)
2. Next, Hoover the mouse over Position on Screen option and then choose the Left or Right option, depending on whether you want to place the Dock to the Left or Right of your screen (See image below).
3. At any time you can change the Dock position to its default bottom position once again by right-clicking on the Dock bar and choosing the Bottom Position in the Menu that appears.
Change Dock Position By Dragging With Mouse
You can also quickly change the position of Dock on your Mac by simply dragging the Dock from its usual Bottom position to the Right or Left of your Screen.
1. Press and Hold the Shift Key on the Keyboard of your Mac
2. Next, click and hold your mouse on the Dock Line and then simply drag the Dock either to the Left or Right Side of your screen.
This way of changing the Dock position is useful in case you need the Dock to be on the Right or Left side of screen for specific apps only. After you are done with the app, you can quickly drag back the Dock to its default Bottom position.