Your iPhone has a name and by default it is called an “iPhone”. However, you can change the name of your iPhone and give it an identity, in order to distinguish it from other iPhones, all of which have the same default name.
Why Change iPhone Name
As mentioned above, the default name “iPhone” is not at all unique and things get confusing when you own two iPhones or have multiple devices in a family all named as “iPhone”.
For example, after buying a new iPhone you may find yourself looking at two iPhone icons in iTunes with the same name, which makes it difficult to tell them apart.
Other services that use device name and where you will find it useful to have a unique iPhone name are “Find My iPhone” and “iCloud”. Both these services identify devices by their names.
Hence, it makes all the sense to change the default name of your iPhone to something like John’s iPhone which can be easily identified as iPhone belonging to John and different from Tom’s and Jane’s iPhone.
Change the Name of Your iPhone
Changing the name of your iPhone, iPad or iPod is really easy and you can do it right on your device.
1. From the Home Screen of your iPhone, tap on Settings > General
2. Next, tap on About
3. On the About Screen, tap on Name
4. On the next screen, type in the new name for your iPhone and tap on Done.
As simple as that. Now, whenever you connect your iPhone to a common home computer, you will be able to identify your iPhone by its unique name.
Change iPhone Name Using iTunes
iTunes may be the first place where you come across the need to rename your iPhone to something unique. Follow the steps below to change the name of your iPhone while you are in iTunes
1. Connect your iPhone or iPad to a Computer using its supplied USB cable.
2. Open iTunes on your Computer.
3. Next, click on the phone icon in iTunes (See image below)
4. Once you click on the Phone icon, you will see the picture of your device and Device Name appearing in the upper-left corner of your screen (see image below).
5. Click on the Device Name and type the New Name for your iPhone (See image above)
iTunes will automatically sync your new device name and you will be able to see the new name on your iPhone by tapping on Settings > General > About and also every time you connect your iPhone or iPad to the computer.