Apple makes it really easy to enable or disable In-App Purchases on its devices. You will find below the steps to disable In-App Purchases on iPhone or iPad.
Disable In-App Purchases on iPhone
In-App Purchases are basically designed to make it easy for users to buy game credits or to upgrade to the paid version of the Apps, while they are already in the process of playing a game or trying out free apps.
In-App purchases provide a better user experience by making it easy for people to make purchases, without having to abruptly leave the game or close an App, in order to make a purchase on the App Store.
However, this feature has resulted in numerous cases of kids being tempted to make expensive In-App purchases, without even realizing that they are spending real money.
Hence, Apple makes it easy for iPhone users to protect themselves from unwanted purchases by disabling In-App Purchases.
Steps to Disable In-App Purchases On iPhone and iPad
The option to disable In-App Purchases on iPhone is hidden in the “Screen Time” feature on your iPhone.
Hence, follow the steps below to Turn ON “Screen Time” feature, setup Screen Time Password and disable In-App purchases on your iPhone.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone, scroll down and tap on Screen Time.
2. On the Screen Time screen, tap on Turn on Screen Time.
3. Next, tap on Continue > This is My iPhone (or This is My Child’s iPhone).
If you selected “This is My Child’s iPhone” – follow the prompts until you are prompted to enter and confirm Parent Passcode.
If you selected “This is My iPhone” – Scroll down and tap on Use Screen Time Passcode option.
4. You will be prompted to enter and confirm a four digit Screen Time Passcode.
Note: Make sure that you write down and remember this passcode. You won’t be able manage Screen Time Settings, without knowing this passcode.
5. Now, go back to Screen Time screen and tap on Content & Privacy Restrictions. If prompted, Enter your digit Screen Time Passcode.
6. On Content & Privacy Restrictions screen, toggle ON the option for Content & Privacy Restrictions and tap on iTunes & App Store Purchases.
7. On iTunes & App Store Screen, tap on In-App Purchases.
8. On the next screen, tap on Don’t Allow option to disable In-App purchases on your device.
After this, all In-app purchases will be blocked on your iPhone. Whenever anyone tries to make an In-App purchase, your iPhone will display a message reading “In-App Purchases are not allowed”.