As you must have noticed, Windows 10 Search brings up web results as soon as you start typing in the Search Box. You will find below the steps to Disable Web Suggestions in Windows 10 Search.
Disable Web Suggestions in Windows 10 Search
By default, the Search Box in Windows 10 start menu brings up web based suggestions as you search for anything on your computer by typing into the Search box.
These web based suggestions are powered by Microsoft’s Bing search engine and clicking on these web results takes you to Bing’s Search Page.
While these suggestions can be helpful, some users find these web results distracting and are looking for a way to prevent web suggestions from appearing in Windows 10 Search.
As you can see in image below, disabling web suggestions in Windows 10 prevents web results from appearing in the search results and displays results from Apps, Folders and Settings on your computer.
Disabling web suggestions can be useful if you want Windows 10 to focus on searching within the hard drive and not bring up web based search results.
Disable Web Search Suggestions Using Registry Editor
Follow the steps below to disable web suggestions in Windows 10 Search using Registry Editor.
1. Right-click on the Start button and click on Run.
2. In the Run Command window, type regedit and click on OK to open the Registry Editing screen.
3. On the Registry editor screen, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows and create a New Key by right-clicking on Windows and choosing New > Key in the contextual menus.
4. Name the New Key As Explorer.
5. Next, right-click on Explorer select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value in the contextual menu. Name this newly created DWORD as “DisableSearchBoxSuggestions” and hit the Enter Key.
6. Now, Double-click on newly created DisableSearchBoxSuggestions DWORD.
7. In the pop-up, change the Data Value for DisableSearchBoxSuggestions to 1 and click on OK.
8. Restart your computer for the changes to Apply
After the computer restarts, try to use the Search Box and you won’t find Bing Search Suggestions appearing as suggested search results.
In case you want to see Web Suggestions, you can either delete DisableSearchBoxSuggestions DWORD or change its Data Value to 0.
Note: Above steps disable File Explorer Search History only for the current user Account and not for other User Accounts on your computer.
To disable Web Search Suggestions for other User Accounts, you will have to login to each of these Accounts and repeat above steps.