As you must have noticed, Windows 10 Search brings up web results as soon as you start typing in the Search Box. You will find below the steps to Disable Web Suggestions in Windows 10 Search.
Disable Web Suggestions in Windows 10 Search
By default, the Search Box in Windows 10 is designed to bring up web based suggestions in addition to results from local search on the Hard Disk of your computer.
While web based suggestions can be helpful, some users find these web based search results distracting, especially when they are only trying to search for a File or Folder located on the Local Hard Disk of the computer.
Another reason for disabling Web Suggestions would be to speed up Windows Search by limiting it to the Hard Disk, USB Drive and External Hard Drives attached to the computer.
Disable Web Suggestions in Windows Search Using Registry Editor
Follow the steps below to disable web suggestions in Windows 10 Search using Registry Editor.
1. Right-click on the Start button and click on Run.
2. In the Run Command window, type regedit and click on OK to open the Registry Editing screen.
3. On the Registry editor screen, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows and create a New Key by right-clicking on Windows and choosing New > Key in the contextual menus.
4. Name the New Key as Explorer.
5. Next, right-click on Explorer select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value in the contextual menu. Name this newly created DWORD as “DisableSearchBoxSuggestions” and hit the Enter Key.
6. Now, Double-click on newly created DisableSearchBoxSuggestions DWORD.
7. In the pop-up, change the Data Value for DisableSearchBoxSuggestions to 1 and click on OK.
8. Restart your computer for the changes to Apply.
After the computer restarts, try to use the Search Box and you won’t find Bing Search Suggestions appearing as suggested search results.
In case you want to see Web Suggestions, you can either delete DisableSearchBoxSuggestions DWORD or change its Data Value to 0.
Note: Above steps disable File Explorer Search History only for the current user Account and not for other User Accounts on your computer.
To disable Web Search Suggestions for other User Accounts, you will have to login to each of these Accounts and repeat above steps.