In this guide, you will find the steps to download Windows 10 ISO File on your computer, with and without using the Media Creation Tool.
Download Windows 10 ISO File (Disc Image)
When you visit Microsoft’s download site on a Windows computer, you will see the option to Download Windows Media Creation Tool, which can be used to download Windows 10 ISO File on your computer.
However, when you visit the download site from a Mac, you will see the option to download Windows 10 ISO File directly on your computer.
You will find below the steps to Download Windows 10 ISO File using Windows Media Creation Tool and also to steps to Download Windows 10 ISO File directly on your computer.
1. Download Windows 10 ISO File Using Media Creation Tool
Follow the steps below to download Windows 10 ISO File on your computer using Windows Media Creation Tool.
1. Open any web browser on your computer and visit Microsoft’s ISO download site.
2. On Microsoft’s download site, scroll down and click on Download tool now button, located under Create Windows 10 Installation media section.
3. On the next screen, select the Location for Media Creation Tool File and click on Save.
4. Next, run the Media Creation Tool on your computer by double-clicking on the downloaded MediaCreationTool.exe File.
5. On the next screen, click on Accept to Agree to Microsoft’s Terms and conditions.
6. Select Create installation media for another PC option and click on Next.
7. On the next screen, Windows should automatically select the Language, Edition and Architecture as applicable for your computer. Click on Next to move to the next screen.
Note: To make your own selection, uncheck Use the recommended options for this PC and you will be able to select 32-bit version, 64-bit version or both versions.
8. On the next screen, select ISO File option and click on Next.
9. Select the Location for the ISO File Download on your computer and click on Next.
10. Wait for Windows 10 ISO File to be downloaded on your computer
2. Download Windows 10 ISO File Without Media Creation Tool
The trick to download Windows 10 ISO File directly on a Windows computer is to make the download site believe that you are not using Windows operating system.
This can be easily achieved on most web browsers by changing the User Agent to a Non-Windows one.
1. Open the Chrome browser on your computer.
2. Next, click on the 3-dots menu icon > select More Tools and click on Developer Tools.
3. In Developer screen, click on the menu icon > select More Tools and click on Network Conditions.
4. On the network conditions screen, uncheck Select Automatically option and click on the down-arrow next to Custom.
5. From the menu that appears, select any User agent that is not Windows. In this case, we have selected Chrome – Mac as the User Agent.
6. After selecting User Agent, refresh the Chrome browser and visit Microsoft’s Download site.
Note: You can also reach Microsoft’s ISO download site by typing Windows ISO File in the Chrome browser search bar and clicking on the top search result (Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) – Microsoft)
7. Once you are on Microsoft’s download site, select the Edition of Windows that you want to download and click on Confirm.
8. Next, select Language and click on Confirm.
9. On the next screen, select either 32-bit Download or 64-bit Download to start the download.
If you are not sure, refer to this guide: Upgrade From 32-bit to 64-bit Windows 10
10. When prompted, choose a destination for the download and click on Save.
Note: The browser’s user agent will return back to normal as soon as you close Chrome’s developer tools.
After Windows 10 ISO is downloaded, you can use it to install or reinstall Windows 10 and also to create a bootable USB drive installer.