There are many users who like to multitask and have music or music videos playing while doing something else on their computers. If you are one of those types, you might be interested in learning the steps to Enable Picture in Picture for YouTube on Mac.
YouTube Picture-in-Picture Mode on Mac
YouTube Picture-in-Picture mode is quite popular on iPad, which has made Apple introduce this feature in its macOS Sierra update.
In case you haven’t tried it yet, YouTube Picture-in-Picture allows you to detach a Video from YouTube and place it anywhere on the screen of your Mac, while you are busy doing something else on your Mac.
For example, you could be browsing the internet, working on a spreadsheet or preparing a document, while having small floating window playing your favourite Videos from YouTube Videos on the screen of your Mac (See image below).
Even if you open another app or switch between apps, the floating YouTube Video will still be playing on top of the app that you are using. Depending on your requirements, you can resize the floating video or move it around the screen.
Enable Picture-in-Picture For YouTube on Mac
In order to Enable Picture-in-Picture For YouTube on Mac, you need to have macOS Sierra update installed on your Mac and use the Safari Browser.
1. Open the Safari browser on your Mac and visit youtube.com
2. Next, search for and open the video that you wish to view in Picture-in-Picture (PIP) mode
3. Once the video is open, right-click on the video and ignore the first menu that appears.
4. Right-click one more time on the video to reveal a new hidden menu. (See image below)
5. On the new menu, click on Enter Picture in Picture option (See image above)
This will make the YouTube Video play in the form of a small detached window, located at the lower left corner of your screen.
6. Once the YouTube Video is playing in PIP Mode, you can minimize the tab (Do not close YouTube) and the video will continue to play in PIP Mode, even when you open other apps.
Resize YouTube Picture-in-Picture Video
As mentioned above, YouTube Picture-in-Picture Mode Videos can be resized and made larger or smaller in order to suit your own requirements.
1. Hover your mouse over the edge of Video playing in PIP mode.
2. Next, drag on the edge of the PIP window to make it larger than its default size.
Move YouTube Picture-in-Picture Video
By default, YouTube PIP Video plays on the lower left corner of your screen. However, you can move YouTube Picture-in-Picture video to any other corner of your screen by clicking on the video and moving your mouse towards the desired corner – The video will automatically snap to the closest corner.
In-fact, the PIP Video can be placed just about anywhere on the screen of your Mac (not just in the corners).
1. Press and Hold the Command key, click on the video and then drag it to any location on the screen of your Mac.
2. Release the Command Key, once you have moved the video to your desired location.
Exit Picture-in-Picture For YouTube On Mac
1. Hover your mouse over the video and then click on either the x-icon or the attach icon (See image below)
The video will now exit picture in picture mode and continue playing as a regular YouTube Video.