Night Shift Mode is a new feature introduced in iOS 9.3. While this feature is not turned on by default on your device, it is easy to enable Night Shift Mode on iPhone or iPad and equally easy to disable this feature in case it is not working out for you.
(Image CC BY 2.0: Johan Larsson)
Night Shift Mode
Bright blue-white light as emitted by the screens of iPhone and iPad is very similar to day time sunlight. It is widely believed that exposure to artificial blue light, especially late in the evenings can over stimulates our brains and trick our bodies into thinking that it is still daylight outside. This can mess up our sleep cycles and lead to health problems due to lack of quality sleep.
You can, however, minimize the effects of late-night exposure to blue light by enabling Night Shift Mode on your device. Night Shift Mode is designed to cut down the amount of bright blue light during evenings and night time. In theory this should help you sleep better.
Enable Night Shift Mode on iPhone and iPad
Follow the steps below to Enable Night Shift Mode on your iPhone or iPad
1. From the home screen of your device, tap on Settings
2. Tap on Display & Brightness
3. Next, tap on Night Shift.
4. On the next screen, toggle ON Scheduled (See image below)
As you can see from image above, the Night Shift Mode on our device is automatically scheduled to start from 10 PM and end at 7 AM.
5. Now, you can adjust the slider under Color Temperature by moving it to either More Warm or Less Warm position (See image in Step#4 above)
Note: Moving the pointer towards “Less Warm” means you will get less of a red tint on your screen when the Night Shift Mode is on, while “More Warm” means the screen will turn more reddish in color.
Schedule Night Shift Mode
In case the scheduled Night Shift Mode start time as set by your device does not suit you, you can change the Start time by following the steps below.
1. On the Night Shift Screen, tap on From/To time (10:00 PM ~ 7:00 AM in this case)
2. On the next screen, tap on Turn On At
3. Now, choose a different start time (see image below)
Manually Turn On Night Shift Mode
In case you do not like Auto settings for Night Shift Mode, you can Manually Enable Night Shift Mode at any time by tapping on Manually Enable Until Tomorrow. (See image in Step#4 above)
The Night Shift Mode in this case will last till the next day or until you disable it by toggling this option to OFF position.
Disable Night Shift Mode on iPhone and iPad
In case you are not happy with your screen shifting to warmer colors at night time, you can easily turn off or disable Night Shift Mode on your iPhone or iPad by following these steps.
1. Tap on Settings > Display & Brightness
2. Next, tap on Night Shift.
3. Toggle OFF Scheduled (See image in Step#4 above) – This will disable Night Shift Mode on your device.