You may want to Reset Windows 10 Computer to its original or default settings, in case it is not functioning properly, getting stuck or bothering you with error messages.
Reset Windows 10 PC to Fix Problems
“Reset this PC” option in Windows 10 allows you to quickly restore your computer to its Factory Default Settings.
When you use “Reset this PC” option, your computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (RE), the hard disk will be erased/formatted and a fresh up-to-date copy of Windows 10 will be installed on your computer.
This will get rid of all the corrupted files, programs, settings on your PC, allowing it to restart using the new copy of Windows 10.
Before the Reset process, you will be provided with the option to either “Keep your Files” or “Remove Everything” from your computer.
If you select “Keep My Files”, the Reset process will remove all installed Programs and Settings on your computer, while keeping all your personal files intact.
For example, all your Word and Excel files will be saved on your computer, while the Microsoft Office Program itself will be deleted.
If you select “Remove Everything”, practically everything on your computer will be erased, including all your personal files.
Steps to Reset Windows 10 PC
Follow the steps below to Reset Windows 10 computer.
1. Open Settings on your computer and click on Update & security tab.
2. On Update & Security screen. scroll down and click on Recovery the left pane. In the right-pane, click on Get Started option located under “Reset this PC” section.
3. On the Next screen, select Keep My files option, in case you want to save your personal files. If not, click on “Remove Everything” option.
If you choose Keep My Files, Windows will save all your personal files before starting the process of erasing and formatting the hard drive.
Once the process is complete, Windows will show you a list of Applications that are going to be removed from your computer and it will also save a List of Removed Applications on your desktop.
4. Choosing Remove Everything will provide you with two sub options – “Just Remove My Files” and “Remove Files and Clean the Drive”.
Select “Just Remove My Files“, in case the computer is going to remain with you. Select “Remove Files and Clean the Drive” in case you are planning to sell the computer or give it away.
In both cases, be prepared to see your computer restarting multiple times as Windows goes through the process of Resetting your PC.
5. When the process is completed, you will see your computer starting with Windows 10 setup screen, prompting you to enter your Language, Time, Keyboard Layout.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete Windows 10 setup on your computer.
After completing above steps, your computer should be free of all glitches and problems that you were experiencing.
Reinstall Windows 10 Without Bloatware
In case your original PC came with a lot of unwanted manufacturer installed software, using “Reset My PC” option will bring back all those Junk programs on your PC.
Luckily, Windows 10 also provides the option to get a clean installation of Windows 10 on your computer, without the manufacturer installed software.
1. Open Settings on your computer and click on Update & security option.
2. On the next screen, click on Recovery in the left pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows, located under “More Recovery options” section.
3. If prompted, click on the Yes option to switch Apps.
4. On the next screen, click on Get Started button under “Fresh Start” section.
5. On the Next screen, click on Next to start the process of removing all unwanted Apps & Programs on your computer and installing the latest version of Windows 10.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install Clean Installation of Windows 10 on your computer.