If you have forgotten the Login Password for your computer, you can find below the steps to Reset both Local and Microsoft User Account Password in Windows 11/10.
Reset Windows 11/10 Password
The steps to Reset Password on a Windows computer vary, depending on the version of Windows OS installed on your computer and also on the Type of User Account.
If your computer is running Windows 11 or a newer version of Windows 10 (1803 and later), you can reset the password for a Local User Account by Answering security questions.
If you have forgotten the Password for a Microsoft User Account, you can reset the password for the Microsoft User account on your computer by going to Microsoft’s dedicated Password Reset Page.
If your computer is running an older version of Windows 10 (prior to 1803), you may need to make use of a Password Reset Disk to Reset the Password for a Local User Account on your computer.
1. Reset Password by Answering Security Questions
If you are unable to Login to a Local Account on a Windows 11/10 computer, you should be able to Reset Password right from the login screen by answering security questions.
1. Go to the Login screen on your computer and click on the Right-Arrow.
2. You will see “Password is incorrect, Try again” message, click on OK to move to the next screen.
3. On the next screen, click on Reset Password option.
4. Answer your Security Questions > Enter a New Password and Sign-in as usual by entering the New Password.
2. Reset Password Using Admin Account
If you cannot answer security questions, you can Reset Password for any Local Account on your computer by logging into your Admin Account.
1. Type Control Panel in the Search bar and click on Control Panel Desktop App in the search results.
2. On the Control Panel screen, switch to Category View and then click on User Accounts.
3. On User Accounts screen, click on Manage Another Account option.
4. On Manage Accounts screen, select the User Account that you would like to Manage.
5. On the next screen, select Change the Password option.
6. On Change Password screen, type New Password, confirm New password, type Password Hint and click on Change Password button.
You can now login to this User Account using the New Password.
3. Reset Microsoft User Account Password
If you are unable to login to Microsoft User Account, you can Reset Password by following the steps below.
1. Using another computer, go to Microsoft’s Password Reset website.
2. Enter the Email Address linked to your Microsoft Account and click on the Next button.
3. On the next screen, select your Email Address and click on Get Code button to receive a verification code on your Email Account from Microsoft.
4. Login to your Email Account to get the verification code > enter the Security Code and click on Next.
5. On the next screen, type a New Password for your Microsoft Account and click on the Next button.
You will see a confirmation pop-up reading “Your Password has been Reset” and you will be able to login to the computer using New Password.
4. Reset Windows Password Using Password Reset Disk
If you had previously created a Password Reset Disk you can follow the steps below to Reset Password using the Password Reset Disk.
1. Insert the USB Drive containing Password Reset Disk into the USB port of your computer.
2. Go to the Login screen and click on the Right-Arrow.
3. You will see “Password is incorrect, Try again” message, click on OK to move to the next screen.
4. On the next screen, click on Reset Password option.
5. Scroll down to skip the Security Questions and click on Use a Password Disk instead option.
6. On Password Reset Wizard screen, click on Next to start the process of Password Reset.
7. On the next screen, select your Password Reset Disk and click on Next.
8. On the next screen, type your New Password, Password Hint and click on Next.
9. Click on Finish to close the Forgotten Password Reset Screen.
After this, you will be able to login to your computer using the New password that you just created.