If you have forgotten the Login Password on your computer, you can find below the steps to Reset both Local and Microsoft User Account Password on your Windows 10 computer.
Reset Password in Windows 10
The steps to Reset Password in Windows 10 vary, depending on the version of Windows 10 installed on your computer and also on the Type of User Account.
If your computer is running on a newer version of Windows 10 (1803 and later), you should be able to recover User Account Password by Answering security questions, using Password Reset Disk and by using Control Panel.
If your computer is running an older version of Windows 10 (prior to 1803), you can hope to recover Password by using Control Panel and also by using Password Reset Disk.
If you have forgotten the Password for Microsoft User Account, you can either switch from Microsoft to Local User Account or Reset Microsoft Password by using the last method as provided below.
1. Reset Password by Answering Security Questions
If you are using a newer version of Windows 10 (version 1803 or later), you can easily recover your Local User Account by answering security questions.
1. Go to the Login screen on your computer and click on the Right-Arrow.
2. You will see “Password is incorrect, Try again” message, click on OK to move to the next screen.
3. On the next screen, click on Reset Password option.
4. Answer your Security Questions > Enter a New Password and Sign-in as usual by entering the New Password.
2. Reset Password Using Control Panel
If you have access to your Admin Account, you can Reset the password for any of your Local User Accounts by using Control Pane.
1. Type Control Panel in the Search bar and click on Control Panel Desktop App in the search results.
2. On Control Panel screen, switch to Category View and then click on User Accounts.
3. On User Accounts screen, click on Manage Another Account option.
4. On Manage Accounts screen, select the User Account that you would like to Manage.
5. On the next screen, select Change the Password option.
6. On Change Password screen, type New Password, confirm New password, type Password Hint and click on Change Password button.
You can now login to this User Account using the New Password.
3. Reset Windows 10 Password Using Password Reset Disk
The official way to Reset Password in Windows 10 is by using a Password Reset Disk. This method can be used, only if you had previously created a Password Reset Disk.
1. Insert the USB Drive containing Password Reset Disk into the USB port of your computer.
2. Go to the Login screen and click on the Right-Arrow.
3. You will see “Password is incorrect, Try again” message, click on OK to move to the next screen.
4. On the next screen, click on Reset Password option.
5. Scroll down to skip the Security Questions and click on Use a Password Disk instead option.
6. On Password Reset Wizard screen, click on Next to start the process of Password Reset.
7. On the next screen, select your Password Reset Disk and click on Next.
8. On the next screen, type your New Password, Password Hint and click on Next.
9. Click on Finish to close the Forgotten Password Reset Screen.
After this, you will be able to login to your computer using the New password that you just created.
4. Reset Microsoft User Account Password
If you are using Microsoft Password to login to computer, you can follow the steps below to Reset your Microsoft User Account Password.
Visit Microsoft’s Password Reset website > enter the Email Address linked to your Microsoft User Account and click on the Next button.
On the next screen, select your Email Address and click on Get Code button.
Once you click on Get Code, Microsoft will send a verification code to your Email Address. Login to your Email Address to get the code > enter the Security Code and click on Next.
On the next screen, type a New Password for your Microsoft Account and click on the Next button.
You will see a confirmation pop-up reading “Your Password has been Reset” and you will be able to login to your computer using this New Password.