The Guest Mode feature in Chromecast allows your Guests to project media playing on their mobile devices on to the screen of your Television. You can find below the steps to Enable and Use Guest Mode on Chromecast.
Setup & Use Guest Mode in Google Chromecast
Google Chromecast originally required Guests to be connected to your Home WiFi Network, in order to be able to Cast Videos from their mobile devices to the screen of your Home TV.
However, the Guest Mode feature in current versions of Chromecast allows anyone present in the same room to Cast Media (photos, video) to TV, without being connected to your Home WiFi Network.
This way your Guests will be able to share photos and videos from their mobile devices with everyone in the same room, without going through the process of logging in to your Home WiFi Network.
Note: The Mobile device of your Guest needs to have an active cellular plan in order to project media from their phone to TV.
What is Guest Mode in Chromecast?
When Guest Mode is enabled on a Chromecast, it emits a special WiFi beacon, whenever YouTube, Netflix or any other Chromecast enabled App is played on the mobile device of your guests.
As soon as the WiFi beacon emitted by Chromecast is detected by Guest Mobile device, it displays a Cast Icon on the video being played on the mobile device of your guests.
This allows them to project media playing on their mobile devices on to the screen of your Home TV by simply tapping on the Cast Icon.
Note: In certain cases, your Guest may be required to manually enter a 4-digit PIN, that appears on the screen of your Television.
Steps to Enable Guest Mode on Chromecast
In order to enable Guest Mode on Chromecast, Google Home App needs to be available on your mobile device. If it is not, you can download Google Home App from Google Play Store or from the App Store.
1. Open Google Home app on your Phone and select the Room in which the TV is located.
2. On the next screen, tap on Settings icon (top-right).
3. On Room Settings screen, select Recognition and Sharing option.
4. On the next screen, select Guest Mode.
5. On the Guest Mode screen, enable Guest Mode by moving the toggle to ON position.
After this, you are all setup and ready to allow any of your Guests to Cast media from his/her phone on to the screen of your Home TV.
How to Use Guest Mode in Chromecast
All that is required to use Guest Mode in Chromecast is to ask your guests to open YouTube, Netflix or any other Chromecast Enabled App and tap on the Cast icon that appears on the video.
1. Open YouTube or Netflix on Guest Mobile device and start playing the video that the Guest wants to project to TV.
2. Once the video starts playing, tap on the Cast icon that appears on the video.
3. In the pop-up that appears, select the Nearby Device (Your TV) to Cast to and wait for Chromecast to project the video to TV.
4. After a short time, the video should start playing on the TV screen. If this does not happen, your Guest will be required to enter a 4-digit PIN that appears on the screen of your Television.
Once the pin is entered and verified, Chromecast will connect to the Guest Mobile Device and the Guest will be able to Cast videos from iPhone or Android Phone to the screen of your Home Television.