If your computer is running slow, it is likely that it has too many Apps running in the background. You will find below the steps to Stop Apps From Running in Background in Windows 10.
Apps Running in Background in Windows 10
Left to itself, your Windows 10 computer may end up allowing way too many Apps to remain active and keep running in the background.
In addition to native Windows Apps and Services like Skype, Calendar and Email, most downloaded Apps also have the default tendency to keep running in the background.
Unfortunately, most older, budget and mid-level PC’s do not have the resources to keep all the data hungry Apps active and running in background.
Also, you may not even be using the Apps that are unecessarily using up resources on your computer by running in the background.
Hence, it makes sense to stop all unnecessary Apps from running in background and wasting resources on your Computer.
1. Stop Apps From Running in Background in Windows 10
Follow the steps below to stop Apps from running in background in Windows 10.
1. Click on the Start button and click on Settings Icon in the little menu that appears.
2. On the Settings screen, click on the Privacy option.
3. On the Privacy screen, scroll down and click on Background Apps in the left pane. In the right-pane, toggle OFF the option to Let Apps Run in the background.
This will prevent all the Apps from running in background on your computer.
2. Stop Specific Background Running Apps in Windows 10
Windows 10 also makes it easy to stop specific or selected Apps from running in the background on your computer.
This can be useful, in case you only want certain important Apps to bring you fresh updates by remaining active in the background.
1. Open Settings on your computer and click on the Privacy tab.
2. On the Privacy screen, scroll down and click on Background Apps in the left pane. In the right-pane, toggle OFF Specific Apps that you do not want to run in background.
Note: You need to toggle ON “Let Apps Run in Background” option to disable specfic Apps from running in background.
Which Background Running Apps to Stop
Disabling Background Running Apps does not prevent you from using the Apps on your computer.
Stopping Apps from running in background only prevents the Apps from bringing fresh updates and this may slow down the Apps.
However, once you launch the Apps on your computer and start using them, the Apps will have the opportunity to refessh their data and you will be able to use them as usual.
A good approach in this regard is to simply start by disabling All the Apps from running in background and later on allow only the most essentail Apps to run in background.
In case something goes wrong, you can always come back to Background Running Apps screen and Turn ON or Turn OFF Apps as required.