By default, the Skype App is designed to start automatically with the computer and keep running in the background. You will find below the steps to Stop Skype from Starting Automatically in Windows 10.
Stop Skype, Skype Preview and Skype for Business
There are 3 different versions of Skype that can be found running on a Windows 10 computer and all these Skype versions have the same default tendency to start automatically with the computer and keep running in the background.
The first version of Skype is the traditional Skype Desktop App which you may have downloaded to your computer from Microsoft’s official Download Skype website.
The second version of Skype, known as Skype Preview is included as a part of Windows 10 and this lighter version of Skype is present on all Windows computers that have received the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
The third version of Skype is known as Skype For Business and this full version of Skype comes pre-loaded with Microsoft Office and may also come pre-loaded on certain New Windows 10 computers.
With this understanding, let us go ahead and take a look at the steps to Stop Skype Desktop, Skype Preview and Skype for Business from starting automatically on your computer.
1. Stop Skype Desktop from Starting Automatically in Windows 10
Once you download and install the full version of Skype Desktop App on your computer, you will find it starting automatically with the computer and remaining active in the background.
1. Open Skype Desktop App and Sign-in to Skype using your Microsoft Account (in case you are not already signed-in).
2. Once you are signed-in, select the Tools tab in top-menu bar and click on Options… in the drop-down menu.
3. On the options screen, uncheck Start Skype when I start Windows option and click on the Save button.
Note: Also, uncheck Sign me in when Skype starts option, if you do not want Skype to automatically Sign you in.
4. Restart your computer to Apply this change.
After this you will no longer find Skype Desktop App starting Automatically with your computer, it will only start when you manually start or launch the Skype App on your Computer.
2. Stop Skype Preview from Starting Automatically in Windows 10
Once you click on Skype Preview app (out of curiosity!), the App prompts you to sign-in using a Microsoft Account (your email).
However, once you sign-in to Skype Preview, it will keep you permanently signed-in and won’t sign you out, even if you restart or reboot your computer.
After this, you will always find the Skype Preview App starting automatically with your computer and continue running in the background.
Fortunately, Microsoft makes it easy to Stop Skype Preview from starting Automatically and prevent it from running in background and wasting resources on your computer.
1. Click on Start button > scroll down the list of Apps and click on Skype Preview.
2. On the next screen, click on your Profile icon (bottom-left corner) > scroll down in the right-pane and select the Sign Out option.
This will sign you out of Skype Preview App and you won’t find Skype Preview starting automatically on your computer.
3. Stop Skype for Business from Starting Automatically in Windows 10
As mentioned above, Skype for Business comes bundled with Microsoft Office and may also come pre-loaded with New Windows 10 computers.
Similar to Skype Desktop and Skype Preview, Skype for Business also has a default tendency to startup with the computer and keep running in the background.
1. Click on the Start button > scroll down the list of Apps and click on Skype For Business App
2. Sign-in to your Skype for Business Account (in case you are not already signed-in).
3. Once you are signed-in, click on the Down-Arrow button (next to wheel icon) > click on Tools and then click on Options.
4. On the options screen, select the Personal tab in the side-menu and uncheck Automatically Start the App When I log on to Windows and Start the App in the foreground options.
5. Click on OK to save these settings for Skype Business App and restart your computer.
After this, you will no longer find Skype for Business starting automatically and running in the background on your computer.