In case you are using Facebook or Facebook Messenger App on Phone, it is likely that Facebook has unrestricted access to the Contacts List on your iPhone. Let us take a look at how to stop Facebook from Accessing your iPhone Contacts.
Why Stop Facebook From Accessing Your iPhone Contacts
When you download and Install Facebook on your iPhone or iPad, it will prompt you to provide access to Contacts.
However, once you grant Facebook with access to your Contacts, it will start making use of this information to suggest friends. This really gets annoying when you start to see random people like your hair stylist, plumber, your business and professional associates appearing as suggested friends in Facebook Feeds.
Imagine meeting numerous people at a seminar and adding them to your address book, all these people will end up being suggested as your Facebook friends.
In order to completely stop Facebook from accessing Contacts on iPhone, you will have to go through the following main steps.
- Delete Information That Facebook Already Has About Your Contacts
- Stop Facebook App From Accessing Contacts on iPhone
- Stop Facebook Messenger From Accessing iPhone Contacts
Delete Information That Facebook Already Has About Your Contacts
Before stopping the Facebook App on your iPhone from accessing your Contact List, it is important that you remove the Contacts Data that Facebook has already accessed on your iPhone and uploaded this information to its servers.
1. Open Safari or any other browser on your iPhone and visit the Facebook Contacts Manager page
2. Next, login in to your Facebook Account by entering the Email Address or Phone Number associated with Facebook and entering the Password for your Facebook Account.
3. Once you are logged in, you will be on “Uploading and Managing Your Contacts” screen. Simply, click on the Delete All button to delete information about your Contacts on Facebook servers (See image below).
4. You will see a message, informing you that Facebook won’t be able to tell you when your friends start using Messenger, if you delete all your uploaded contact info. Click on Delete All option to confirm deletion.
6. Log out of your Facebook Account.
Now that you have cleared all the information about your iPhone Contacts that was uploaded to Facebook servers, the next step is to Stop Facebook and Facebook Messenger App from accessing your Contacts on iPhone.
Stop Facebook From Accessing Your Contacts on iPhone
Once you have deleted the information uploaded by Facebook to its servers, you can go ahead and follow the steps below to Stop Facebook from accessing your iPhone Contacts.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
2. On the settings screen, Scroll down and tap on Facebook.
3. On the next screen, stop Facebook from accessing your iPhone Contacts by moving the toggle next to Contacts to OFF position (See image below)
After this, Facebook will no longer access information about your Contacts on iPhone.
Stop Facebook Messenger From Accessing iPhone Contacts
Just like the main Facebook App, the Facebook Messenger app also syncs information about your Contacts in the background and makes use of this information to notify you, in case any of your Contacts start using Facebook Messenger.
1. Tap on the Settings app on your iPhone
2. On the Settings screen, scroll down and tap on Privacy.
3. On the Privacy Screen, tap on Contacts (See image below).
4. On the Contacts Screen, toggle OFF the switch next to Messenger.
With these steps, you have disabled Facebook Messenger from accessing your Contacts on iPhone.
Stop Facebook Messenger From Automatically Syncing iPhone Contacts
By default, the Facebook Messenger app on your iPhone is set to upload information about your Contacts to Facebook Servers. Follow the steps below to stop the Facebook Messenger App from automatically syncing Contacts.
1. Start the Facebook Messenger app on your iPhone.
2. Next, tap on the Me tab located at the bottom right corner of your screen (See image below)
3. On the next screen, tap on People.
4. On the People screen, toggle OFF the option for Sync Contacts.
5. You will see a pop-up, tap on Stop Syncing to confirm your action.
It is important that you stop both Facebook and Messenger App from accessing your iPhone Contacts, doing this only on the Facebook app is not enough. In case you have been following this website, you may have already disabled Facebook owned WhatsApp from sharing your phone number with Facebook.