If you do not want Skype to startup with the computer and continue running in the background, you can find below different methods to stop Skype from automatically starting on your Windows 11 computer.
Stop Skype from Launching at Startup in Windows 11
The default setting in Skype is to automatically startup with the computer and make itself ready and available for your immediate or later use.
After being used or even if you do not use Skype, it continues to remain active in the background, unnecessarily using up resources on your computer.
Hence, the reason for users looking for a way to prevent Skype from starting up with the computer and also looking for a way to prevent Skype from running in the background.
1. Prevent Skype from Automatically Starting Using Skype Settings
If Skype has already started on your computer, you can prevent Skype from automatically launching at startup by using Skype settings.
1. Open Skype Desktop App and sign-in to Skype using your Microsoft Account (in case you are not already signed-in).
2. Once you are signed-in, select the More icon in the top-menu bar and click on Settings in the drop-down menu.
3. On the Settings screen, move the toggle next to Automatically start Skype option to the OFF position.
Note: Also, uncheck Other options, if you do not want Skype to remain active and keep running in background.
4. Restart the computer to Apply this change.
After this you will no longer find Skype Desktop starting automatically with the computer, it will only start when you manually start or launch the Skype app.
2. Prevent Skype from Automatically Starting Using Windows Settings
Another way to stop Skype from automatically starting is by going to Windows Startup settings on your computer.
1. Open Settings and click on Apps in the left-pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Startup tab.
2. On the Startup screen, move the toggle next to Skype to OFF position.
This will prevent Skype from automatically launching itself with the computer.
3. Stop Skype Business from Starting Automatically
Skype For Business comes pre-loaded with Microsoft Office and may also come pre-loaded on certain new Windows 11 computers.
Similar to Skype desktop app, Skype for Business also has a default tendency to startup with the computer and keep running in the background.
1. Start Skype for Business App > Sign-in to your Account (in case you are not already signed-in).
2. Once you are signed-in, click on the Down-Arrow button (next to the wheel icon) > click on Tools and then click on Options.
3. On the options screen, select the Personal tab in the side-menu and uncheck Automatically Start the App When I log on to Windows and Start the App in the foreground options.
4. Click on OK to save these settings for Skype Business App and restart your computer.
After this, you will no longer find Skype for Business starting automatically and running in the background on your computer.