In this post we will take a look at How to Change 24 Hour Clock to 12 Hour Clock format or vice versa on a Windows 10 computer, depending on whichever time format suits you better.
Change 24 Hour Clock to 12 Hour Clock in Windows 10
Follow the steps below to change a 24 hour clock to 12 hour clock format on a Windows 10 computer.
1. Click on the Windows 10 Start button and select Settings.
2. Click on Time and Language
3. Next, click on the Change date and time formats link (See image below).
4. On the next screen, click on Short Time and pick h:mm tt from the drop-down choices. Next, click on Long Time and choose h:mm:ss tt from the drop-down (See image below).
To explain this better, on a Windows 10 computer that is displaying time in 24 hour clock format, you will find the Long Time and Short Time settings displaying a capital letter ‘H‘ which stands for 24 hour time format. All that you need to do is to click on the drop down menu and pick a choice that has small ‘h‘ in it.
- Short Time : H:mm – Change this to h:mm tt
- Long Time: H:mm:ss – Change this to h:mm:ss tt
The letters ‘tt’ in the above 12 hour settings stand for AM or PM. Hence, the time on your Windows 10 computer will now be displayed as 6:45 PM or AM.
5. Once you have selected the 12 hour time format (any choice with a small ‘h’), just close the settings window. The change will be reflected immediately on both Long and Short time locations of your computer.
What is Short and Long Time in Windows 10
A Windows 10 computer displays date and time at two locations. You will find the first location at the extreme bottom right corner of your screen.
This location, which is the most visible one is known as the Short Time and any changes that you make in the Settings Menu to Short Time will apply to this clock (See image below).
The second clock (Long Time) is not immediately visible as it is hidden on the calendar of your Windows 10 computer.
In order to see the second time location, click on the clock or the Short time. This will bring up the Windows 10 calendar where you will see the Long time displayed in big letters (See image below).