As you must have noticed, Groove Music is the default music player app in Windows 10, which may not be the Music Player that you prefer using. In this post we will show you how to change the default music player in Windows 10 to a music player of your choice.
Groove Music is your default music app in Windows 10 which connects you to Groove, Microsoft’s own subscription based music service.
Previously, Groove was known as Xbox Music, Microsoft has renamed and re-branded Xbox music as Groove in order to avoid the confusion that was being created due to the name Xbox being associated with a music service that did not require Xbox to make use of.
Groove is closely integrated with Microsoft’s cloud storage service and allows users to upload music to OneDrive and access the same on any device – Windows devices, Xbox consoles, and Android or iPhone.
As mentioned earlier, Groove is a subscription based service available at $9.99 a month or $99 year.
Change Default Music Player
1. Open Settings and click on System.
2. Look for Default apps in the left hand pane and click on it.
3. You will see Music Player on the right hand pane (See image above). As you can see the Music Player is set to Microsoft’s own Groove Music player.
4. Click on Groove Music – You will see a list of installed apps related to this category in a pop-up menu (See image below).
5. You will be presented with a list of Music/Media apps that are currently installed on your computer. Select your favorite Music Player from the list (See image above).
6. Once you choose an app from the popup menu (Say Windows Media Player), it will become your default music player in Windows 10.
Note: In case you do not find a Music Player of your choice, click on Look for an app in the Store option and find your preferred Music app from there.